BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there.

am i right in thinking that the 320i is less fuel efficient than the 325i due to lower power to weight ratio compared to the 325i?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Probably correct. In the real world you would have to thrash a more powerful engine less to make it move. However, when buying a car with a bigger engine, you have to ensure its got the grunt to waft about effortlessly as there are big engines out there that aren't grunty as they should be, so these will be much heavier on fuel.

Personally I have always found 2.5ltr - 4.2 V8's, to be quite good on fuel, so long as they have a healthy and strong torque curve to for effortless pace (meaning you don't have to press on hard).

·
Registered
753 Posts
i have recently found this to be the case. I used to have an e46 320ci i now have an e46 330 ci sport and its alot better on fuel getting about an extra 60 miles to a tank with mixed driving

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can i get a chip to soup up the 320 to a 325? (only interested if this actually improves MPG tho, not really for performance) ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i could always try to empty my boot, take out the cd changer, and take the spare wheel out! ha ha ha.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
can i get a chip to soup up the 320 to a 325? (only interested if this actually improves MPG tho, not really for performance) ;)
some chips do and some chips don't..........

Trouble is with older cars, unless all the engine and its components are in absolute perfect health, you wont see the actual benefits from the ECU uograde.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The 325i is about 40bhp more than the 320i so you won't get a chip to up the power to 325i standards, you may get a chip that increases the power slightly and improves the MPG providing you drive it sensibly :)

so on these older e36's .. the difference between a 320 and a 325 was a chip?
No..... 2.0 litre engine versus 2.5 litre engine, exhaust is different, inlet manifold is different

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
how much mpg would you see from a 325 compared to a 320?
In the real world, you're only looking at a few mpg difference. However bear in mind, if the cars are older, when parts and components (especially engine sensors) start to wear, big engined cars will start to cripple you on fuel! They are good so long as they are running right!

If you are concerned with MPG, do not look at bigger petrol engines, just get a quality diesel.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
And if you are on your original lambda sensor from new then get it changed as they loose efficiency over the years, yours would be 14 years old and how many miles??????

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will look into that ronnie. thanks! can someone quickly dust off these questions for me .. can the lambda sensor lose efficiency yet still have a perfect idle, no rough idle or movement on the rev counter? i don't know when the fuel filter was replaced so i have to look and see if i can find a date, but no cold start problems or idle at the moment.

i would like to get an inexpensive odbc2 diag tool that could reset the service, check engine and inspection lights. can anyone recommend a cheap/good one?

oil service is lit. the yellow light and the red light next to it is lit. does that mean i have one light away from inspection two appearing, is that next in sequence?

what are your list of things you like to do when you get a car and not sure of history?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
will look into that ronnie. thanks! can someone quickly dust off these questions for me .. can the lambda sensor lose efficiency yet still have a perfect idle, no rough idle or movement on the rev counter? i don't know when the fuel filter was replaced so i have to look and see if i can find a date, but no cold start problems or idle at the moment.
Sensors as I mentioned can loose efficiency without causing noticebale problems other than affecting MPG and making the car slower.

i would like to get an inexpensive odbc2 diag tool that could reset the service, check engine and inspection lights. can anyone recommend a cheap/good one?
I'll leave this one for the mechanics

oil service is lit. the yellow light and the red light next to it is lit. does that mean i have one light away from inspection two appearing, is that next in sequence?
Yellow & Red light, as they are illuminated mean that you're oil service is overdue. After the oil service, your next service will be an inspection service, which one will depend on the mileage.

what are your list of things you like to do when you get a car and not sure of history?
contact a BMW dealer and see if they can trace any history via the BMW network, this will only be availble upto the time the car was visiting BMW dealers for servicing/repairs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
would the odbc2 diag units find any sensor probs that need to be sorted? or should you use detective skills too? what sensors should i look at, lambda (o2) and any others to recommend?

because of yellow and red on the oil service, will that reset back to nothing and build all the way back up to yellow and red then inspection lights up next?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also what do you guys recommend for a good set of jacks, ramps and a roller board for getting under the car? is one of the beginner kits ok from gsf car parts? do you prefer jack stands instead of ramps, and should i put a thin piece of wood on the jacks to protect underside of car? also where do i place the jacks so as not to damage the car?

thank you all for helping my confidence grow with car maintenance.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
would the odbc2 diag units find any sensor probs that need to be sorted? or should you use detective skills too? what sensors should i look at, lambda (o2) and any others to recommend?

because of yellow and red on the oil service, will that reset back to nothing and build all the way back up to yellow and red then inspection lights up next?
You could get one of these but won't do live engine running data http://www.ukobd.co.uk/gstore/store/g_viewItem.asp?IDproduct=44.

If you have a old laptop you could get Carsoft.

All available on Ebay for cheaper than most retailers.

As for your sensor question, if the engine coolant temperature sensor is giving the wrong reading then the "tool" won't flag up a problem as a code, you would have to determine if it's reading right from the live data.

And axle stands are better than ramps

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you so much ronnie. one other question is, can carsoft exist as software on an xp pc, or do you need to dedicate a whole laptop to carsoft?

regards,

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Unfortunately it won't be much good for Xpress's E36 :frown

He has OBD1 and that "tool" doesn't do BMW specific codes, only "OBDII"

He would be better off with Carsoft if he wants the live data side of things, :thumbsup will also do Airbag, transmission and ABS.

You could have Carsoft on a XP PC, doesn't need to be dedicated. You could even have it on a desktop if you had a old one in your garage :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts