BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '93 320i automatic six cylinder e36.

i got about 47 miles for a tenner. this was zipping around in stop start traffic up to 40mph max. what do you find you are getting under these conditions!?

what can i expect in mpg gains if i swap to a K&N air filter and new plugs if any?

is it possible to gain 5mpg or more with a new o2 sensor?

and lastly, what sort of gains in mpg for each have you experienced in your time with a oil change, oil and/or fuel filter?

thank you!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
A K&N filter and plugs should make no noticebale difference to your MPG if the same service items in your car at the moment are in good condition. If you want to improve your MPG you need to get the basic checked on yoru car and esure they are good. (injectors & seals - servicing these I bet will make yoru car much smooth and quicker than a filter!)

You can have an 02 sensor test done, if you want to see how efficient your 02 sensor is, but to be honest, this is a component thats advised to be replaced every 60,000miles max.

Peronally I think you have a dodgy sensor, 02 sensor/camshaft sensor if you have no other issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A K&N filter and plugs should make no noticebale difference to your MPG if the same service items in your car at the moment are in good condition. If you want to improve your MPG you need to get the basic checked on yoru car and esure they are good. (injectors & seals - servicing these I bet will make yoru car much smooth and quicker than a filter!)

You can have an 02 sensor test done, if you want to see how efficient your 02 sensor is, but to be honest, this is a component thats advised to be replaced every 60,000miles max.

Peronally I think you have a dodgy sensor, 02 sensor/camshaft sensor if you have no other issues.
how do you get the 02 sensor check and how do you tell how efficient it is?
thanks

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Most diagnostic centres/independant garages should have an 02 tester.

Alternatively you can buy one off the net for not much money. (i'll post up some links later when I get back from work)

·
Registered
77 Posts
1996 318is back and forth to work keeping under 3000 rpm about 70-80 miless for a tenner
driving like a idot lots of stop starts doing delivers for kebeb shop 50 miles lol

Reactions: xpress

·
Registered
650 Posts
Was getting about 70, now getting about 60 as fuel prices are going back up. Approx 27 MPG.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe 60 is about the best i am going to get for a tenner with a 320i then? maybe less because the 318 has a better power to weight ratio?

:)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
I always fill my car right up from when the light comes on.

Doin a bit of an experiment at the mo, put 52.02 litres of Shell's finest in a few days ago, gonna see what I get out of it, then see what a tank full of Tescos' finest compares like:thumbsup

I dont do a lot of miles though, just round the village and into town, no motorways, the odd bit of dual carriageway bypass; Ill let you know how they compare:thumbsup

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks bro! can you tell us how many miles you get when your tank goes down by one quarter?

i daren't fill my car up at the moment. only to push some fuel injector cleaner through the tank! watch this space, will report back when i install a new o2 sensor! how long i wonder for the ECU to recalibrate, and can i force it to reset quickly in some way? maybe 30 miles for ECU to recalibrate?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
thanks bro! can you tell us how many miles you get when your tank goes down by one quarter?

i daren't fill my car up at the moment. only to push some fuel injector cleaner through the tank!
fuel injector cleaners aren't worth the money, you're better off taking them out of the fuel rail (easy access, easy DIY if you're Ok with basic tools), cleaning them out and replacing the seals.

On my E30 325i sport, after I had this done I just gave the accelerator a gentle prod, only to find myself almost smashing through Morrisons entrance! The car was once again savage fast and responsive and gave much better fuel consumption.

·
Registered
359 Posts
On my 318is I get 80 miles to a tenner (94k on clock). I also get 80 miles from the first quarter when the tank is full and then average about 430 miles until empty again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
im also checking out what i get for a full tank, so far i got 210 miles out of exactly half a tank, pretty good i think, driving to an from work 50 mph max.cost me £47 to fill up from empty on a 316. its all down to the mpg counter i think, i try to keep it between 50 an 30 mpg when up to speed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow dsk, thanks for the post there. it's good to learn from other people that have tweaked their car already and experienced how things improve! cheers zircon and nohope. that sounds ace. i am looking forward to enjoying that sort of mpg when i put the elbow grease and hard work in!

sounds very good nohope, i try to keep to that sort of range too when up to speed, mine's an auto, do you think that i lose a few miles per gallon for this?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow that's pretty good joe. have you had any work done, what's the mileage? replaced the o2 sensor and injectors?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
btw DSK i definitely hear you about the injectors, the car is a bit flabby and i have to push pretty hard on the gas to bring her up to speed.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Not had any work done myself, and looking through the service history I didn't see anything that would enhance mpg.

Mine's a '99 and done 65k, I don't think the o2 sensors or injectors have been replaced.

I think I worked out on my last full tank I managed about 41mpg and thats with cold cold weather and the occasional drive when I've been driving fast rather than economically ;)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts