BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've had my old 1995 328i sitting around with a blown engine for a while now, and it's time I got started on sorting it out. It'll be a part-time project for me and will involve some head work and installing a clutch - it'll be easier for me to do all of this with the engine out.

I read that the simplest way to get the engine out is to remove the front of the car, but I'm not sure how to do this.

I've got a Bentley manual and have looked at the excellent Pelican Parts articles, but none of them really tackle the 'getting the engine out' part.

Any help, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Also, could anyone recommend a Midlands workshop who can skim and pressure test the head?

Cheers

Eric

·
Banned
344 Posts
Hi All

I've had my old 1995 328i sitting around with a blown engine for a while now, and it's time I got started on sorting it out. It'll be a part-time project for me and will involve some head work and installing a clutch - it'll be easier for me to do all of this with the engine out.

I read that the simplest way to get the engine out is to remove the front of the car, but I'm not sure how to do this.

I've got a Bentley manual and have looked at the excellent Pelican Parts articles, but none of them really tackle the 'getting the engine out' part.

Any help, tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Also, could anyone recommend a Midlands workshop who can skim and pressure test the head?

Cheers

Eric

removing the front of the car is the best oprion and can be done in a matter of mins, remove the bumper, grill, slam panel, and carrier- is really easy.

as for skim and pressure testing.........try these guy's, we have used them for years, they charge 25 + vat for a skim and nother 25+vat for pressure test, carriage is 12 each way.

Motorcast 01939 236 000

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Spartan.

Ronnie - no idea yet if it's just the head gasket, but I guess i'll find out soon! Starts ok, but runs very rough and lots of oil in the exhaust. Also blew the air intake duct hose. Compression is low on 4th and 5th cylinders from the front. My guess is that the whole problem started after the crappy plastic impeller water pump failed a year ago...

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers

Eric

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I have been using motorcast (in Wem, Shropshire tel:-01939236000) for years and have got nothing but good things to say about them.:thumbsup.. I would advise anyone who needs cylinder head work done to talk to them. Pete and the boys are fantastic and the heads I have had done come back like new.. They are chemically cleaned, every gasket face is machined/dressed, and then painted up were required - their service is excellent and pretty quick too.They are also pretty competitive on quality head gasket sets and bolts etc.

All you have to do is bolt it back together.:) No cleaning up or further prep work required on the head- in fact they can make the rest of the engine bay look quite shabby!;)

All there work is guaranteed and if you are unfortunate enough to require a replacement head they even do them (2nd hand or new), and they guarantee those too.

If you live close by, they can even arrange collection and delivery in their own vans...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.