BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hello, can anyone remember or know if BMW did a recall on the M3 evolution for the vanos??:confused

I don't think there were any recalls on the vanos at all mate.

The bolts that secure the solenoid covers had a habbit of shearing off and causing major engine F-ups..........now, I'm not sure if these were changed as a recall or whether BMW started chaging them when the M3's rolled in for a service.

Why mate, you got issues with a Vanos?

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
I noticed someone state BMW did earlier - may have been you!

IIRC they just replaced the units when they become noisy. I wouldn't let vanos worries put you off an evo. You can service the vanos unit yourself which should help a lot and DR Vanos will now sell you a reconditioned unit.

Even if it does go, you can still drive the car you just lose power. Well, providing that you don't lose all the oil...

Ian

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think there were any recalls on the vanos at all mate.

The bolts that secure the solenoid covers had a habbit of shearing off and causing major engine F-ups..........now, I'm not sure if these were changed as a recall or whether BMW started chaging them when the M3's rolled in for a service.

Why mate, you got issues with a Vanos?
Been looking for an Evo for a few weeks now. seen a few noisy units!:mad
Going to look at a car tomorrow, exchanged a few emails with seller, he says that it has had the vanos recall?:shifty:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Been looking for an Evo for a few weeks now. seen a few noisy units!:mad
Going to look at a car tomorrow, exchanged a few emails with seller, he says that it has had the vanos recall?:shifty:

hmm, I'm not 100% but I think this "vanos Recall" he's talking about is probably the bolts being replaced.

But as Ian S said, most evo's are noisy and if the car is cheap enough then don't be put off by it. As I and Ian S said in a previous post, Dr Vanos do recon Euro M3 vanos' for around 400 squids......and ig yoy have to get one done then its not a big hit as it used to be a few months back.

If you are buying an SMG, then the vanos will be the least of your worries dude.

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
One tip that almost caught me out when checking out evos. Even if you don't drive the car on the test drive, ask if you can move the car on the drive etc to check the clutch biting point. Most bite on the floor and it can be difficult to engage gears when hot. Don't accept the response that they all do it!

Good haggling point and can usually be solved with a braided clutch hose and bleed.

·
BFuk Moderator
244 Posts
One tip that almost caught me out when checking out evos. Even if you don't drive the car on the test drive, ask if you can move the car on the drive etc to check the clutch biting point. Most bite on the floor and it can be difficult to engage gears when hot. Don't accept the response that they all do it!

Good haggling point and can usually be solved with a braided clutch hose and bleed.
often the clutch slave cylinder, and sometimes the master cylinder will need replacement as well, but are not expensive, I got mine from bmaparts.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.