BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have plans for the near future to do a full M3 Evo swap in my 1995 E36 Coupe, and I have some questions regarding the subject! I hope there are some of you that can help me with this.

1. Acquiring the swap

I'm live in the Netherlands myself, and I've been thinking about buying and importing a M3 Evo from the UK. I have been wondering what would be the best way to find a "donor" M3, do any of you have any good adresses or websites in the UK where I'd be able to find this?

Would you also consider buying a complete car the best way to acquire the full swap? Or would it be better to find all parts separate?

2. The Engine

I have been doing alot of research on the S50B32 engine. This gave me the conclusion that the weak spots of the engine are the VANOS unit and the rod bearings. Would it be wise to replace those (if they haven't been already) while the engine is out of the car? And are there any more weak points of the engine?

3. The gearbox
I have also been told that the 6 speed ZF transmission isn't the most reliable gearbox around. Should I do any kind of special maintance other then regulair oil flushes?

4. The drivetrain

Since the 3.23 diff is a LSD differential, do I have to do special maintenance to it? Is it prone to fails at some point?

5. Brakes

I'm currently performing a E46 330i brake swap (both front and rear). Will this be sufficient for the S50B32 engine, or would it be wiser to use the stock M3 brakes in combination with the M3 spindles and trailing arms? Will I be able to use the M3 diff output shafts with the stock E36 trailing arms?

6. Wiring

If I just use the engine harnass attached to the S50B32 engine, will this work in my car? Will I encounter any OBD 1/2 issues?

I hope there are some of you out there who are able to help me with these many questions!

Thanks alot in advance!

Vincent

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , I am just in the process of undertaking this myself with a e36 320 auto that I will be dropping an s54 engine in with the 6 speed manual box so why I am no expert I have done a bit of research that mite help you out.

I have plans for the near future to do a full M3 Evo swap in my 1995 E36 Coupe, and I have some questions regarding the subject! I hope there are some of you that can help me with this.

1. Acquiring the swap

I don't think for the prices you will pay for even a "cheap" e36 m3 now would make it worth pulling it apart to tranfer what you needed into your 325i you'd be better off just keeping the m3 and building it up to what you want it to be or what I am doing and sourcing all the parts individualy The last couple of years have seen the e36 in most variants prices soar and the m3's now even for a shady example will set you back circa £10,000 with best examples seeing prices of £20,000+

2. The Engine

The S50B32 engine does have its problems with VANOS unit and the rod bearings but ARP do supply kits for the m3 that will solve this and I do believe the vanos unit can be upgraded to a newer version but if your sourcing an engine would be wise to strip it and give it a rebuild before it goes into the shell when it's eaisier to solve all these problems before they even have time to occur then look after it with regular maintaince and I shouldn't imagine it'll give you any problems.

3. The gearbox
I believe the e36 m3 evo 6 speed it a gearbox leopar and no wants to touch it and is a known weak point i believe it's a sealed unit which makes it hard to work on or impossible but regardless parts are also hard if not even possible to buy. Go for the e46 m3 6 speed box I'm told it mates up to the s50b32 and is also servicible.

4. The Drivetrain
Only Diff oil changes once a year maybe?

Sorry I couldn't answer the rest of your questions im still looking into stuff myself lol

Brad

1 - 2 of 2 Posts