BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My m3 needs a new alarm as the old one doesnt work. Ive got 2 alarms that im interested in both the same price.

1st is a toad ai606 2nd a Cobra 8186 (not 100% if thats the correct model)

What one should I go for?

Ive never had an after market alarm fitted before so I dont know much about them.

The toad one is on ebay (supplied and fitted) the cobra is a supplied and fitted by a local company to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have only ever had Viper and CLifford. Both of which I would reccomend. Viper I ahve found to be slightly better than clifford

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I've got the toad ai606 in my car mate. Yours is a cabrio like mine so get the extra dual zone sensor so it beeps if someone gets too close (can be turned off easily from fob).

I'd recommend it, you can get all sorts of extra's like the text module, remote start etc. You can have it wired to your headlights or halo's and foglights like i've done. Can't go wrong with a Toad alarm :thumbsup

PS whats the company name? SCS? I ordered mine of him and he was excellent over the phone in helping me to program the different functions, even called me back :hihi

·
Registered
1 Posts
:cool Hello There. I have a few devices on my E46 M3 Cab.

I would suggest use a Clifford Concept (at least series 500). I say this as it has many programmable fuctions and one of them being 'Black Jack' - Someone wants to 'lojack' your car, let them have it and allow them to drive away, after a predetermind time (allowing yourself to dial 999) the car totally dies with lights and siren going off. It can't be reset on the key, only the code stored in your head!!

Also you can program the key fob to open/close windows/roof. So on a nice sunny day (twice a year in the uk :silly) as you approach your car, you can open the roof and be set to go !!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the toad ai606 in my car mate. Yours is a cabrio like mine so get the extra dual zone sensor so it beeps if someone gets too close (can be turned off easily from fob).

I'd recommend it, you can get all sorts of extra's like the text module, remote start etc. You can have it wired to your headlights or halo's and foglights like i've done. Can't go wrong with a Toad alarm :thumbsup

PS whats the company name? SCS? I ordered mine of him and he was excellent over the phone in helping me to program the different functions, even called me back :hihi
That sounds good. I think its the same company its called southern car security.
Does it open and close the roof on yours?

:cool Hello There. I have a few devices on my E46 M
3 Cab.

I would suggest use a Clifford Concept (at least series 500). I say this as it has many programmable fuctions and one of them being 'Black Jack' - Someone wants to 'lojack' your car, let them have it and allow them to drive away, after a predetermind time (allowing yourself to dial 999) the car totally dies with lights and siren going off. It can't be reset on the key, only the code stored in your head!!

Also you can program the key fob to open/close windows/roof. So on a nice sunny day (twice a year in the uk :silly) as you approach your car, you can open the roof and be set to go !!

Hope this helps.
This sounds a good alarm too. Would this open and close the roof on a e36 too? They werent sure when i rang them up if it would work or not.
Im not sure if the one they sell is a 500 series or not. On there website they list the cobra 8186 http://www.starmoauto.co.uk/security_systems.html

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
i to have the toad ai606, and am happy with it..:cool

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
That sounds good. I think its the same company its called southern car security.
Does it open and close the roof on yours?
Yep southern car security :thumbsup

I've got it so it closes the windows when I lock the car (can be programmed differently) and I can open them off the fob too. Sadly I don't have a full auto roof so it can't be opened or closed off the fob.

PS no extra modules needed either for the e36 to open close the roof with the toad alarm, just another thing to bare in mind as the extra modules that you need with other alarm brands could set you back quite a bit ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i to have the toad ai606, and am happy with it..:cool

Yep southern car security :thumbsup

I've got it so it closes the windows when I lock the car (can be programmed differently) and I can open them off the fob too. Sadly I don't have a full auto roof so it can't be opened or closed off the fob.

PS no extra modules needed either for the e36 to open close the roof with the toad alarm, just another thing to bare in mind as the extra modules that you need with other alarm brands could set you back quite a bit ;)
Looks like the Toad is winning so far:Llol

·
Registered
114 Posts
My m3 needs a new alarm as the old one doesnt work. Ive got 2 alarms that im interested in both the same price.

1st is a toad ai606 2nd a Cobra 8186 (not 100% if thats the correct model)

What one should I go for?

Ive never had an after market alarm fitted before so I dont know much about them.

The toad one is on ebay (supplied and fitted) the cobra is a supplied and fitted by a local company to me.
What year is your car as any car that is 1996 on had a cat 2 immobiliser factory fitted. If this the case you dont need a full cat 1 alarm as you can get a cat 2-1 upgrade alarm system. If not go for a clifford BUT dont go for the company that will do it the cheapest as they will through it in and you will get no end of problem. What part of essex are you in as i used to down there and as i fit car alarms for my job i know quite a few people that will do a very good job for you.:thumbsup

I have only ever had Viper and CLifford. Both of which I would reccomend. Viper I ahve found to be slightly better than clifford
Viper and clifford are the same just with different badges and different remotes as a company called Directed electronic in the usa took over clifford years ago and have got the brands Hornet, Viper, Clifford, Python and Avital that all come out of the same factory. All the above alarms are good aslong as they are fitted by a fitter that takes his time and doesn't through it in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What year is your car as any car that is 1996 on had a cat 2 immobiliser factory fitted. If this the case you dont need a full cat 1 alarm as you can get a cat 2-1 upgrade alarm system. If not go for a clifford BUT dont go for the company that will do it the cheapest as they will through it in and you will get no end of problem. What part of essex are you in as i used to down there and as i fit car alarms for my job i know quite a few people that will do a very good job for you.:thumbsup

Viper and clifford are the same just with different badges and different remotes as a company called Directed electronic in the usa took over clifford years ago and have got the brands Hornet, Viper, Clifford, Python and Avital that all come out of the same factory. All the above alarms are good aslong as they are fitted by a fitter that takes his time and doesn't through it in.

My car is a 1997. I think the alarm system has been removed as there were cut wires under passenger footwell plus the doors dont lock when driving the car which i know some other e36's do so I would like a decent alarm for peace of mind.

I live near Stansted Airport. If you can recommend someone that would be great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts