BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the deal is with E36 headlamps?

I have a 1996 Touring and the lenses are pretty pebble dashed and look crap.

What options are there, most the angel eye lamps look rubbish so would prefer OEM style,

Thing is I have noticed some OEM lamps look better than others, was there a facelift type? or ones with a different glass?

Some I have seen look really clean and fresh, so i'm thinking I might be able to improve mine by getting some new glass for them?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
do you mean like the ones on mine?

Mine are standard OE BMW lights (Bosch IIRC). Not sure if they changed the light lenses, but I guess mine just have a good seal and the dirt is washed off regularly so they never get the chance to grime up and deteriorate. Personally if I was more into asthetics, I'd fit the CCFL angel eye rings to the standard units myself.

Easy to get hold off and not too expensive at places like GSFCP/Eurocarparts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the exact combo i've been thinking of, looks much better than the generic off the shelf ones

Yours do look a lot brighter than mine, maybe its just the condition of the glass then.

BTW where did you get you mtech shocks from, and were they expensive?
I'm guessing Euro by the fact you have the ATE power discs?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Thats the exact combo i've been thinking of, looks much better than the generic off the shelf ones

Yours do look a lot brighter than mine, maybe its just the condition of the glass then.

BTW where did you get you mtech shocks from, and were they expensive?
I'm guessing Euro by the fact you have the ATE power discs?
Boge M-tech shocks were from GSFCP http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ (Eurocarparts don't do the M-tech specification ones, they just supply normal E36 shocks lol).

Front's were about £75/80 IIRC and the rears were £45 each.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks.

I'm fitting lowering springs and would like to do the shocks at the same time?

What do you find the ride is like, as this is my comfortable car!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Cool, thanks.

I'm fitting lowering springs and would like to do the shocks at the same time?

What do you find the ride is like, as this is my comfortable car!
I have always been reluctant to lower a car. M-tech chassis BMW are pretty spot on as standard.

The ride is near enough the same as it was with the OE M-tech set-up before I re-freshed it. The BOGE turbo springs are well matched and are M-tech specific, so the ride still retais the comfort but makes the chassis more taught and sharp whilst near enough eliminating any body roll.

BOGE springs are like a needle in a hay stack, so I would go for Eibach's Pro spring kit that gives a 30/30mm drop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking for eibachs, but I got a set of springs from GSF for half the price which i'm hoping will be ok.

If not they will be coming off!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I was looking for eibachs, but I got a set of springs from GSF for half the price which i'm hoping will be ok.

If not they will be coming off!
WARNING

GSFCP display the Boge Turbo spring box in the shops. So when I ordered a set I got a set in a GSFCP box. The staff swore they were Boge Springs at about £85 ish. I said no they are not because;

1. The springs do not look like bOge springs.
2. They were bright red (looked like cheap spray paint) rather than Scarlet red (which is what Boge are).
3. There no Boge part numbers, just GSFCP ones.
4. Boge do a 30/20mm dro, yet the sales guy said they the ones in the box are a 40mm drop.

As a result of their dishonesty, I just declined the springs. The sales guy picked the box up and threw it towards the rear of the shop :rofl When I got my Boge units, I took them to GSFCP and showed the guy that i was right he was bull$shitting about the springs he tried to sell me.

To be honest, I'd return them to GSFCP. They are not tuned and designed to the same degree as premium springs. Yes the Eibachs do cost more, but, you pay once for quality! Buy cheap and you pay more than twice!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats true, and to be honest the guy said that they were "Probably" Boge springs.

I'll have to see if I can get them refunded, might be trouble though as the box has been a bit damaged.

How well rated are the apex springs?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Thats true, and to be honest the guy said that they were "Probably" Boge springs.

I'll have to see if I can get them refunded, might be trouble though as the box has been a bit damaged.

How well rated are the apex springs?
The name has been about for years, I have no experience with them myself, some of the Japanese scene use them ..........

Personally i'd just save hassle of trying to save money, buy right first time with Eibach.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found a good price for the eibach pro kit, so gonna attempt to return the GSF ones tomorrow!

Knew all along I should have been getting the eibachs lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.