BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For anyone thinking of getting Angel Eyes and fitting them to standard headlight units, thought this might help.

I know when I was thinking of upgrading, I preferred keeping standard headlights but wasn't sure I wanted the hassle of fitting the CCFL rings. It takes about 3 hours in total but in my opinion its worth it and I think these are the best non-OEM Angel Eyes you can get, and they're really bright in daytime too.

I'm used the manual that came with my kit, other kits may vary but I think they are roughly the same, I take no responsibility for any damage though :thumbsup

If you want the PDF where I got this information from, click here http://www.ipshit.com/bmw/BMW-E36-CCFL-AngelEyes-DIY.pdf

EDIT: Before I start, some CCFL angel eyes are slightly different - if you want to check there is another DIY How-To at this link - http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/alternative-e36-ccfl-retrofit-diy-t17236/

First, you need to remove your headlight units from your car, consult your BMW manual for this, or have a look here

After doing this, you need to remove the lense cover from your headlight unit.

Use a flat blade screwdrive and remove the 4 metal clips on the top and also the two smaller clips, one on top and one on bottom. Then you'll have this

Carefully place the CCFL rings inside the lenses, they will need to be very lightly pressed and maybe slightly bent, but be very careful as they're made of glass.

Then place masking tape in a few places to hold the rings in place. Follow this by putting silicon adhesive in the places shown below, then leave to dry for 45 minutes.

While the CCFL Angel Eye rings are setting into place, you can get on with the wiring. Remove the back covers on the headlight unit. Soldering in an option for connecting the new power invertor pack, or you can use bullet connectors. Basically anything that will hold 2 or 3 copper wires together securely.

Join the RED wire (positive) from the power pack to the GREY wire (positive) from the headlamp side light circuit.

Join the BROWN wire (earth) from the power pack to the BROWN wire (earth) from the headlamp side light circuit. Check that all connections are secure.

Next part is carefully putting the lens cover back onto the headlight unit.

You need to bring the wiring through the top of the headlight units so the wires come out of the back.

Now after double-checking the connections are all secure, you can slot the power packs inside the headlight unit.

Then put all the covers back on.

Re-assemble the headlights and indicators onto your car carefully, and you are done!

Thanks to the 'Eclipse' manual for some of the photos.

·
Registered
89 Posts
can you get other colour angel eye kits ??
lookin good fella :D i want some now :D 3hrs is a good time aswel :D

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you can get blue, red and purple too, well those are the other colours I've seen.
But red is obviously a definitely no-no, and purple or blue could get you in trouble with the Fuzz :D

If you can't tell from my photos, these ones are a bright white, they're 6500k I think.
In my opinion they're better than the OEM ones which are obviously yellow. They shine nicely through with headlights on as well (mine are standard halogens atm).

·
Registered
89 Posts
well i know what i'll be doing this weekend :D :D cheers ...and im goin for red but goin to wire then up differently to what you have done, as red is Illegal colour to have o the front of the car, i thinki a switch on the dash board would be helpful :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice write up Joe. I did a similar job, but wasn't happy and took whole lot apart, took off the lenses and stuck them on the front. Put everything back together and bloody things have never worked since. Assumed it was two ballasts which had somehow blown, I bought some more (another $60), but these haven't lit the bloody things up either.

Will buy some more ccfl rings, when I get the courage up to take the f&5$ers apart again. Will post pics when I finally get job done.

Nice motor

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got mine off Ebay for £24 including postage! But I was lucky, the kit I got normally costs about £20 more than that.

Search on Ebay for 'CCFL E36 Angel Eyes'. When looking at the listing, make sure that a) they're new and boxed with a manual, and b) that they're somewhere between 5500k-6500k - that way they'll be white and show up in daylight really well too: I've had a lot of compliments on them :thumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got mine off Ebay for £24 including postage! But I was lucky, the kit I got normally costs about £20 more than that.

Search on Ebay for 'CCFL E36 Angel Eyes'. When looking at the listing, make sure that a) they're new and boxed with a manual, and b) that they're somewhere between 5500k-6500k - that way they'll be white and show up in daylight really well too: I've had a lot of compliments on them :thumbsup
Awesome, cheers dude, i'll definaltey be checking those out :thumbsup

·
Registered
244 Posts
looks brilliant matey... i bought some of ebay and failed to get them to fit to the front of the lenses... as they were not "round" enough if you know what i mean... needed pressure to make them so..

wonder if i bought a lemon pair :(

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.