BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part 1: Headunit.

So I began my ICE install. I wanted to fit the CD43 and also the DICE mediabride MB1500. This little device supports iPods/iPhones, USB and Bluetooth audio.

I didn't want to get a BMW labeled CD43 as they are twice the price of the Rover version, so I simply used a gentle 1500 grit sandpaper to remove the paint on the Rover logo.

I think the previous owner of this radio lived entirely on drive through burgers, because the buttons were so greased up that they were getting stuck down, and the M button was completely seized.

I stripped down the radio by removing the top and bottom metal covers and gently unclipped the for clips holding the faceplate. Then on the underside of the display I used a nail to lift the lock and unplug the ribbon connector.

I dismantled the faceplate

Remove the buttons with a jeweler's screwdriver or a pick.

and cleaned the grease from the buttons. The << M >> button is extremely fragile when you get it apart.

After gently sanding the face for what seemed like forever, the paint came off.

The Rover logo is actually embossed in the plastic, and with the harsh flash of the camera, it still can be seen.

In natural light the whole area looks more uniform.

After reassembly

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On to the DICE mediabridge.
I bought two of these back from the USA when I was there last. The other one is now sold.
First I removed the CD changer from the car and put it in the spare room. I now have my boot [trunk] space back!
I didn't want to have to faff around trying to solder to the factory loom hanging out of the dash so I got a SOT-060 from eBay, and I had some loose cut wires from an E46 CD changer harness. You can buy a short CDC harness from BMW also, the part number is 65128364756, $38
I got the cut CDC lead and added some pins from farnell, PN 1330227

I got permanent live, iBus and GND from the SOT-060. You will need the little blue fork to hold the 10 pin connector in the 17 pin connector, BMW PN 61131390431

This is the DICE kit

A quick test

And after wrapping with fabric tape the loom is done

Pairing with BT

eas | DICE Electronics MediaBridge Demo e46 M3 - YouTube

It'll be a while before I install this as I need to build a cradle for the phone and test out how the nav audio will work when I am using the system.

I will probably use the Google Navigation in the phone and it may conflict with the A2DP support in the Mediabridge.

Next out to the car, remove the old radio by unscrewing the hex bolts. Do not remove them, just undo until it comes lose.

Here are the locks you are unscrewing.

Lift the radio latch until it releases, removed the antenna connector and withdraw the old radio.

Running the new cable for the CD changer through to the glovebox area.

And tuck the new harness in. There is not a lot of space back there, so I made sure the new cable would not get in the way of sliding back the radio by tucking it down and behind.

Quick functional test, check all four speakers are working, wiggle the harness to check for bad connections.

And slide back, tighten the allen screws.

I needed a custom harness because the DICE hooks up to E46/E39 post 2001 CDC connections - that is a 3 pin power/GND/Ibus and a 6 pin square audio. Mine was an early boot changer version - I believe they do a radio version of the Mediabridge now that as you say plugs directly into the back of the headunit. I could also have bought the 0.5m audio cable from BMW for nav equipped E46's, and just tapped the power, GND and iBus.

The cable is a little too long - the 5M coiled audio cable picks up noise from the power cable. I am tempted to see how much they want for the radio cable.

I velcro'd my unit under the sunglasses tray, accessing the upgrade cable just requires popping of the shift boot.

The Mic is fitted to the steering wheel cowl. It just peeks over the ///M3 wheel, it's a little more visible with the sport wheel.

Ther is a problem at the moment though. The DICE goes to sleep after about 30 minutes, like any iBus device should when in an E49/E39/X5. However it doesn't wake back up again, unless you unplug the power and replug it.

I assume the E36 iBus is so limited that the message the DICE is looking for about "time to wake up" (GLO->LOC: IGN ON or similar) never gets sent.

There is however a sutable iBus message from the radio that could be substituted. (RAD-> GLO: Device ready after reset or similar)

I sent a support request to DICE on Monday but have heard nothing (famous DICE support!). I'd not recommend this unit to E36 owners until this bug is fixed.

Others also having problems with MB-1500 and E36 here. EDIT: Latest firmware now fixes the power on issue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi nice looking thread but sorry some of the terminology is above me. What does this Mediabridge allow you to do? Add BT and USB to an existing HU? What is the BUS thingy?

Sorry for being slow but i almost understand this but am held back by a bit of terminology lol

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi nice looking thread but sorry some of the terminology is above me. What does this Mediabridge allow you to do? Add BT and USB to an existing HU? What is the BUS thingy?

Sorry for being slow but i almost understand this but am held back by a bit of terminology lol
The DICE Mediabridge replaces the CD Changer.

You go into CDC

Disc 1 is iPod
Disc 2 is USB
Disc 3 is Aux
Disc 4 is BT audio
etc

Then once you are in iPod/USB, Disc 1 become Artist, Disc 2 become track, Disc 3 becomes playlist etc

Also it does BT phone and supports the MFL. When a call comes in, you need to flip from the radio to CDC to get any MB1500 audio, then hit Up on the MFL or the radio to answer.

Please note, right now the only way to get this working on E36 would be to use an IGN on for the power, instead of permenent live. This is due to the MB1500 not waking up on the partial iBus found in an E36. E46/E39 on have a full iBus with a master controller and work fine. This could be fixed for E36 with a simple software update but DICE are notoriously bad at support.

Took a picture this morning for you all.

Hellooo!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Others also having problems with MB-1500 and E36 here.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1521245
DICE say this is resolved in FW 4086. Please read the thread in post 4, because this is not my experience.

I also made this cable with some MQS parts from RS and a female Molex microfit for the DICE end because the 5M cable was noisy.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f9/all-bmws-uk-cheaper-source-for-electrical-connectors-t73387/

And moved the DICE into the space where the 5M cable was, with some hooky-side of velcro to hold it to the carpet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, i know this might be a long shot, but i saw that you had the potentiometer out of one of the head units, and thought it would be worth an ask. I have the Philips PH7850, which is the one you have there without cd slot. Im having trouble with the volume switch, as it will adjust too much sometimes and none at others. furthermore, it will be delayed sometimes, and cause one hell of a distraction while driving. Long story short, might you know anywhere where i can get a replacement potentiometer, or even find the part number i need, and ill look from there. Many thanks for your time. Ben

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pots are available at RS, Maplin and Farnell. You are best off with the part number, or use a multimeter to find out the swept resistance (1k, 4k7, 10k are popular values) and find a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry for reviving the thread, I have some questions about the install

1stly, i have a93' 325i coupe with a Rover CD43 HU on.Will this work on there? (I kno the CD43 is compatible, but I am looking at the site and it says 96 onwards, I am not sure if that plays any role,just wanted to check)

Then, will the unit need anything else to decode mp3's or is that all that is needed?

And finally, I'm guessing that BT audio also allows for streaming music through your phone?

BTW, are you facing any more trouble with the media bridge or is all resolved after this firmware update you talked about earlier?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the CD43 is fully compatible so long as you have prepared the wiring. The iBus CDC & audio connector used by the mediabridge is an E46/E39/X5 on, and the E36 got a round m-bus DIN connector.

All issues appear to be solved except the key double press which is a hardware issue and may have been resolved on modern units.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

After hours of research and calling DICE & Audiovox, no one has a replacement 16-pin connector for the media bridge. You're my only hope at the moment and I was wondering if you could post the schematics & wiring diagram for the Mediabridge.

I have the same uni MBR-1500BMW and no harness, I do have an old 12 pin harness from my old DICE silverline that I plan on using for parts.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I could see the photo of the harness you made and that's exactly I need to do.
I just can't tell from the photo where the wires go to on the 16 pin connector.

I have an olde dice connector that is 12 pins instead of 16, and has the 2 cd changer ends. I plan on cutting the 12 pin off and wirring the same harness to a 16 pin connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
after more research I found this one too

I just got to figure out where they go on the other ends
I m trying to remake the 5m harness that goes to the trunk cd changer ports

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Thank you for writing this guide, its been very useful. I know I'm reviving an old thread but I think its the best way of getting my question out there.

I have a 1996 318is Coupe with the 'business RDS' cassette head unit 65128374584, same as the one you have taken out. RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Everything on the car is original and I'd like to keep it that way.
I understand I have the option of fitting a CD changer, I assume it uses the same bus as the CD43 you have used.

Will this cassette head unit work with the dice mediabridge???

I realise I will have to wire it myself and probably won't have artist/track text.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts