BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there. just wondering if any e36 convertible owners could chip in and tell me if they are glad they went for the soft top option? what differences are there with it, more heating around the seats to account for the top being down? are you glad you went soft top or do you wish you went standard/hard top?

also how quick is it to drop the top and does it fold down or do you have to put it in the boot?

thanks.

xpress.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I'd be interested to hear the views, I'm not a fan of Convertibles, they not my thing, but as of late, all the nicer M3's have been covertibles so I'd probably get one if no coupes are available.

I'd like to know what protection is integrated into these convertibles (roll over, wind protection etc), what the quality is like in terms of problems/leaks, reliability of the hoods, motorway wind noise etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
:cooli absolutely love mine, got an e36 m3 evo convertible and cant fault it really, the only thing that bugs a little bit is the fact you cant hear the music properly when at speed or when the roof is down, easy fix tho, just get some better speakers and the prob is solved. there is nothin better than drivin a drop top bimmer in the summer (when the sun is making an appearence that is!!!!!!) :cool

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
:cooli absolutely love mine, got an e36 m3 evo convertible and cant fault it really, the only thing that bugs a little bit is the fact you cant hear the music properly when at speed or when the roof is down, easy fix tho, just get some better speakers and the prob is solved. there is nothin better than drivin a drop top bimmer in the summer (when the sun is making an appearence that is!!!!!!) :cool
I do a fair fe motorway miles (albeit in the Volvo now), usually have cruise on at about 90-xxx mph, but would you say the M3 is noisy at motorway speeds with the convertible hood up, in place compared to a coupe?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
compared to the coupe yes! but once the hard top is on (if u have 1) its like a coupe anyway (but looks a hundred times better)!!
Just confirm I read your post right, is the hard top quieter when in place compared to the normal soft top? so I'd be best advised to look for one with a hardtop?

·
Registered
95 Posts
you did yeah. when the hard top is on its pretty much the same wind noise as you would experience in a normal coupe. definatley try for 1 with a hard top as they are a god send in the winter months ( not as cold ) and can be a costly upgrade seein as a decent 1 will prob set u back the best part of £6-700.:thumbsup

·
Banned
344 Posts
I too have an E36 M3 convertible with a hardtop.

With no hardtop, the wind noise is pretty annoying, but with the hardtop on- its great.

The soft tops alone are pretty prone to leaks as well......especially around the seals where the windows meet the top. If you are going to use the car all year round, then a hardtop is a must in my opinion.:thumbsup

But, yeah, Soft top was the best option when I was hunting for an M3................they are great in the summer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The only issue with the soft tops is that it is some what noisy in the cabin compared to the coupe. mine has been very reliable, only had one problem last year summer which was the hood got jammed (dont know why?) handed it to bmw to fix.

cant wait for summer time to arrive. :cool

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just got back and read the whole of this thread, thanks DSK, couldn't have done a better investigation into the soft top situation myself :)

.. and yea, nealP, i would probably like one :) spring and summer is coming!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I would personally advise anyone purchasing a convert to invest in the hard top too. Not only do they look awesome when fitted but it will prolong the life of your soft top:thumbsup

I think in this country all soft tops should be accompanied with a hard top:cool

·
Registered
95 Posts
definately RYM, your right on the button there. it also helps if u have 1 because sometimes on a sunny day in deepest darkest winter when the sun does rear it shiney head, people with cabs tend to drop the top, but this can cause the horrible milky line u sometimes see and will eventually crack the plastic over a period of time. believe me i have seen it loads of times with my dad bein in the windscreen business!!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
i would tend to agree that you should try to get one with a hard top,as they are quite dear to buy second hand (£500+) and finding a second hand one to match your car can be like finding hen's teeth :p
your also talking 200 quid plus fitting for a tired rear plastic screen!
as has been said before they can be quite leaky but the rubbers arent that dear.sometimes a wee dab of lubricant is just the trick for squeaky seals!!
beware of any cabbys that the roof doesnt work on cause it will cost a pretty penny to remedy unless your really handy with the spanners.
having said all that i wouldnt swap my cabby for the world :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
nice one davz, your cab looks great. definitely a sporty feel to them. the thing i don't like about my car is the grey bumpers and grey plastic side skirts, i like how your skirts and bumpers match the colour of your car. (not trying to infer you're a cross dresser!) :S

if i went cab i think i would go for a navy blue 325i auto with a blue soft top!

:hihi

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Security

Recently a fellow member posted stating that his hard top was stolen.

Knowing diddly squat about convertibles, how are the hard tops secured to the car? can hard tops be removed and stolen from the car whilst fitted in place?

Oh, is putting the hard top on (and removing it) a 1 man job?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea that's true DSK. i was just daydreaming about owning a soft top with an optional hard top and i checked back to this thread .. i remember that post too. i wonder how secure a hard top is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
a hard top can be stolen like anything else in a car. its held in place by 2 fixing handles at the back and a fixing handle at the front. definately a 2 man job tho as its big, not the weight of it, just arkward getting it in the right place without 2 pairs of hands. just make sure u have a decent alarm system (which is a must have item if its ur pride and joy) :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.