BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
just testing the water abit here,ive got a 320i convertible m reg with 146,000 on the clock but im looking at possible going up to a bigger engine maybe even the 328i which i heard is very good.Whats it like in the convertible compared to the coupe?What sort of price do u think i could b looking at for mine and then a 328 convertible?
Any help?

·
Registered
100 Posts
As per ron's post,

They are great cars with loads of power and the only real problem is the Vanos and Nikasil bore liners.

Steel liners were introduced into production at Week 10 in 1998, i.e. March 1998. Cars built before then will have Nikasil liners.

Also most 2.8 E36 with a Single vanos unit will have the Nikasil liners, these are the M52 engines and the M54 engines with a double vanos unit should have the steel liners.

Would be worth a check with BMW before you buy the car to just confirm the make up of your engine block, they should be able to do this from the given engine codes etc.

My car is a M52 single vanos with nikasil liners and im waiting til dooms day.:rofl

In other words i didnt think to check with anyone with ref to the engine issues with this type of car, i got it for a bargain price so if it goes it goes i guess.

Also the full electric hoods can play up quite abit, its nice to not have to get out of the car to let hood down when they work ok.
But when they play up they can be a rite pain in the ass, so you may want to think about going full or part electric hood (full electric more to go wrong).

Again im full electric and mine was a resonable fix, but this was reflected in the price i paid for the car as the owner was upfront about the issues with the hood.

Hope the info helps and good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.