BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if anyone has posted anything about this yet so I made a little post.

I bought a car where the guy had replaced the ignition but hadn't had the ECU reprogrammed. So I had to do this fun little key dance everytime I got in the car to get it started and get the steering wheel unlocked. Normaly this wouldn't be an issue and I would fix it properly, but I have to many other things that do not work to shell out money on an ECU reprogram. (Plus he only changed the ignition not the door locks so I would have to go another route anyways)

So what I did,

I got a second reciver (the plastic peice that is around where the ignition key hole is with two wires going to it) from a friend who happened to have one lieing about.

I plugged that one in and put a hose clamp on my key untill it just started holding it tightly, then I trimmed off the extra metal with some tin snips.

I then placed the key into the new reciver and electrical taped it in place. I faced the key parallel with the wires when I tested it, so thats how I taped it. (Make sure before you do this you test to see if you can use the new reciver and key)

Last I found a nice empty space in my dash and taped the whole thing down because I hate it when things rattle around. Now I get in and using the none ECU programmed key just turn it over like a normal car.

If this has already been posted, would someone please delete or lock this thread.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
your explaination was a little tough to decode but from what your saying is that the last guy put a different igntion barrel in the car with a different key and the other key you have controls all the doors ..am i right so far so the quickest and simplest fix is to order a new ignition tumbler/barrel from bmw at around $50 i believe and that will work with the key that controls the doors.

The ring that goes around the ignition is part of the EWS system which ha a seperate brain and cant be reprogrammed to another key

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure the key has been to worn. It wont function any of the locks. All I could use it for was to put in whilest I started the car with the bit that was supposed to be on the end of the ignition, then I had to take it out and put the new key in to lose the stereing lock.

Also, sorry if I used the wrong terms, I was trying to be helpfull.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts