BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we had the snow I read the owners handbook to check how the snow/ice mode works on the auto box.

Basically it starts you off in 2nd and shifts to the other gears at lower revs. Sport mode holds revs up to the red line in each gear befores shifting. Economy mode is sort of in the middle.

Effectively the EGS (Auto box DME) has three programs built in. Ideally I'd like to improve the economy mode by getting the car to shift sooner, a bit like snow mode.

Has anyone ever known of someone reprogramming the EGS unit?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Forgot to mention that a remap on a car with auto gearbox will actually make the gears holdout longer due to the increase in torque. And also it won't Change down so much like when you going around a bend. So it might be worth having a decent remap to be able to see the difference before doing anything about the gearbox

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
It has been done in the US before, I have had a look at some of the gearbox files a few years back but couldn't see anything that made clear references to the speeds.

Whilst in an engine ECU, you know what shapes to look out for when looking for fueling curves or advance maps, but the EGS ecu could be more thought of as written in a different language.

They do have a removable chip in them though for most.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts