BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 95 318iS M42 is so far doing an amazing 40+ mpg, even up to 48 or so on a real steady Mway run, at first i thought the mpg gauge was just being a bit ambiguous due to age but then i started to take notice of how much i'm using on runs i know the exact distance of etc, so far i've done the 278m round trip to see the missus in sussex on an average of £32 (at 96.9p/l) driving at or above 80mph more or less all the way. My old man used the car to do a drive of about 100m and used about 2 gallons, on main A roads doing a typical dad-style 56mph, so almost 50mpg, i'm pretty shocked by this as i was expecting mway mpg to be no more than the mid-30's, i've even seen my mpg guage reading just a gnats shy of 50mpg at 85mph.

Once owned a 1989 325i sport that try as i might wouldnt do any more than about 22mpg(averaged about 17 though coz it was fun to thrash), a 1990 320i that averaged about 27,a 1990 316i lux gave me around 37 and my 1991 318i lux about the same as that.

What you got and what you getting from it???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I can get all the way to Newcastle from Cricklewood(London) on one tank and have spare when I get there.I live nearby to the M1 and its great-on the other hand the fuel dissappears when I drive to work and back which is in Holborn and thats only 8 miles away

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got a 325, will get around 38>40mpg driving sensibly on the motorway.
And around the town about 28mpg, but driving it like you stole it, well, forget it
325 here also,urban between 18-30 depending on wellyfacation
32-40 on mway.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
153 Posts
I've got a 325 and get 23-27 the only time i've ever seen above 27 was going up to Scotland when I averaged about 32 driving at between 80 and 90 most of the way :thumbsup but then I didn't buy it for it's economy! ;)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
882 Posts
I've got a 325 and get 23-27 the only time i've ever seen above 27 was going up to Scotland when I averaged about 32 driving at between 80 and 90 most of the way :thumbsup but then I didn't buy it for it's economy! ;)

If you keep your speed down to 60>70 you will get 38>40 no problem

I don't bother much about the economy factor with mine either, but its good to know it can be economical if driven properly

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 318is happly trundles round at 30 ta fifty mpg round town and that if im gentle. Bt put ma foot down an its bowt twelve mpg frm the lights. I was also imprest at how low the revs are wile urban driving

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
On a motorway run, doing a reasonable speed I can get about 36 mpg.

But after a new set of tyres and brakes, my right foot is keeping the fuel consumption at about 15.8 mpg :shifty:

Reactions: Davztyr

·
Registered
225 Posts
On a motorway run, doing a reasonable speed I can get about 36 mpg.

But after a new set of tyres and brakes, my right foot is keeping the fuel consumption at about 15.8 mpg :shifty:
thats still pretty reasonable,good to know the 328's aint that much more thirsty than the 325's

·
Platinum BFuk Member
153 Posts
If you keep your speed down to 60>70 you will get 38>40 no problem

I don't bother much about the economy factor with mine either, but its good to know it can be economical if driven properly
Tried that! Sat at 55 on a 20 mile journey on a free flowing A road and reset the obc and the highest it got was 34mpg have also compared the obc to my calculations and it's almost spot on :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
'99 318iS Coupe - I get around 36mpg with urban driving. Most of my driving is rural roads with a mixture of 30's and 60's, I get around 42mpg driving normally, e.g 60 in 60. If I drive like a grandad I can get around 47mpg. I haven't done a long enough motorway run to test that. Either way its more economical than my old '94 318i Saloon.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a 'mate' just did the whole length of the black cat-kempston bypass(14 miles or so) in bedford at 100mph and 'his' gauge didn't go below 40mpg while keeping the throttle level,'he' got bored on the way home though and apparently the guage was down to 12mpg most of the length of the road while doing around 120mph

ahem....

Just out of interest,on a private road/track what are you maxing out at,so far my iS has shown about 125mph with a few hundred rpm left but run out of tarmac,i know the speedo at that sort of speed isn't as accurate though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 316i has worse economy than most people's 328's lol. Average between 32&35mpg even though most of my driving is a solid 60-70. Even a run on the M25 @ 70 with no rear seats didnt get me above 37 mpg. Considering BMW claim 48mpg on the motorway.....

·
Registered
175 Posts
My recently acquired manual 328i is averaging between 27-30mpg on mixed town/motorway/fast b-roads...
I don't drive it gently, though...
I find it is better than my old E34 525ix Touring (avg 22-23mpg)
also better than my old E30 325i (av 24mpg)
however, it isn't a whole lot different to my E30 M3...that manages to average 25-28mpg on the same sort of run...

The difference is, even cruising gently, I'm hard pushed to break 30mpg in the M3, but the 328 can manage 35ish on a gentle motorway run

·
Registered
354 Posts
city drive is a bit of a nonsense how ever i managed to do with a full tank until just before the reserve 240 miles but when i topped it upp i paid 50 quid. mottor way on my M44 250 miles is about half a tank. any way the books for my car say about 34 mpg so that is what it is. baring in mind i live in London and do 90% of my driving here to work and to GF's house.

PS: although i am still happy with the car and i think once i get a couple of thing's that need fixing done i might get a bit better consumption, although i do like to make him sing :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
my e36 3.0 M3 Saloon has seen 46mpg!!!!!! that was ticking over lol. Its also been seen at 7.5mpg

On a run I can get a good 30mpg and around town driving like a hollagain the floor is the limit.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.