BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fit an alarm to my E36 1995 August build 320i.

The car alarm I want to fit is a AL60B-RENG with Remote engine start or the AL60B-PLUS without the Remote engine start. It all depends on whether I can use the Remote engine start function or not?

The spec and alarms of both are on Eb*y. Could someone please have a look for me and let me know what you think?

I know from reading up, that some alarm functions are not compatible with the BMW E36.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone used a Rightclick car alarm and are they any good with the E36?

Are the windows on my E36 Pneumatic or Electric?

On the windows roll-up, are they negative triggered to roll them up?

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I want really is a cheap alarm that I can fit myself.

Can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful alarm that will work on the E36?

All I want is one that, remote locks/unlocks the doors, shuts the windows up automaticly when armed has the sonic sensors and goes off when the doors are opened or the windows are smashed and has silent arming.

I don't want shock sensors. (too many cars have there alarms set off up here with the load exhaust on some of the cars that go by). No anti hijacking and all the complicated unnecessary stuff that goes with it.
It's an old car. I do love-it though. :thumbsup
I just want a standard alarm like on my Vectra and Mondeo had. :thumbsup

Can you help?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good after market alarms are available from good suppliers, Cobra, Gemini and GT are good alarms that i have fitted and used in the past.
They do basic options that cover the requirements you need without all the additionals such as Anti-Hijack etc.
Only downside when installing alarms yourself.. No Thatcham Certificate for insurance companies. Even if the alarm itself is Thatcham approved.
But if your looking for something that makes a good row when doors are opened etc.. Give these guys a call for your nearest stockist.. Any help on installation.. They all have Technical Helplines inc in the instructions.
Hope this helps DX90

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its not something i have heard of to be fair.. I will only suggest something i have used/fitted if i have been happy with fit and performance etc.. Maybe someone else has had some exposure to the falcon system. Sorry i can't help on that one dx90 :(

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's OK John328i. No problem. Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately for me the alarms you mentioned are out of my budget at the moment. All my money is going into decoration the house at the moment. :frown But on the plus side, its looking good. :thumbsup

I just notice that the Falcon Predator XL3 has no Anti-scanning Code learning Remote Control System. (That can't be good these days).

I am know looking at the Falcon Sniper X2 or the Falcon Sniper X2RS, that does have this function. Just a bit pricer. :frown

Anyone had any experience with any of the Falcon alarms?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not sure to be fair dx90..Maybe someone else have managed to box around the standard fit equipment?

Decorating as well.... Join the club..In the past 4 weeks i have managed to complete the hallway, kitchen and bathroom lol... Living room in the next 4 days is on the cards lol

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, your shifting at a rate of knots. I'll have some of what your having. :thumbsup

I was told that either a DEI 555B or a DEI 556U bypass module would do the trick. But I have also read that not all bypass modules work with the E36.

Has anyone tried the DEI 555B or the DEI 556U on an E36 and what one worked 100%?

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Wow, your shifting at a rate of knots. I'll have some of what your having. :thumbsup

I was told that either a DEI 555B or a DEI 556U bypass module would do the trick. But I have also read that not all bypass modules work with the E36.

Has anyone tried the DEI 555B or the DEI 556U on an E36 and what one worked 100%?
could anybody with any answers for this please reply via PM as we dont want details like this viewable to any tom,dick or car thief...thankyou :)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
DX90, why do you want to by-pass the EWS system? It is probably more sophisticated than the immobiliser on any alarm you can purchase.

Remote start? I understand the reason for wanting this if the car is a turbo but not a NA engine.

All you need is an alarm to work alongside the EWS. IIRC Cobra do one:thumbsup

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason for the remote start was for the winter morning to warm the car up. I've been working outside for too many years and the pain in my finger joints is often unbearable. But I don't think it does the car much good anyway.

What model Cobra alarm did you have in mind that would suit? I will have a read up.

I was looking around and came across the Hornet 745T made by DEI. Anyone using one of these and are they any good?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I'm not entirely sure which model it was as I didn't do the fitting. I have also seen TOAD used alongside standard fit anti theft security:thumbsup

If you have a read of the Owners Manual you'll notice BMW advise that you drive the car immediately after starting;)

:thumbsup

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your right it does say that in the manual. Good idea not to have the remote start after all. :thumbsup

I might go for the Hornet made by DEI. DEI are the same company that make Clifford alarms and a lot of the top alarms on the market. I believe the quality is very good. :thumbsup

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am interested in a Viper 480VX alarm. Mainly because it has no built in shock sensors.

It says in the manual for programming options see the dealer for further details. :confused
Does this mean that only the dealer can set-up the alarm features such as comfort closure on arming that I want?

I want to fit it myself. If the above is correct then that's no good to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I’m not mistaken Remote engine start alarms are not approved by Insurance companies. As the wiring over- rides the alarm/ immobiliser.. or something along those lines from what i can remember!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats not a problem. Because I will be fitting it myself then the insurance company won't recognise it. The viper 480VX I'm interested in know doesn't have remote start.

Anyone know the answer to my question just above?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll be fitting my aftermarket alarm very soon with remote start anyway so will I really need a bypass unit for that feature or can I simply just cut the wires and work from there.

worst comes to worst I'll just stick the transponder in the car somewhere near the ignition, no ones going to steal a old dodgy black BMW and it's never parked in a place that someone could steal it :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.