BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

anyone have experience of this as its driving me crazy, i'm getting a grinding/grating noise when doing a hard left turn which is coming from the driver side, so far i've changed wishbones, arb drop links, back lolipop bushes, could this be a wheel bearing issue ?

thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds like you've eliminated all the other possible causes so you are probably right in saying wheel bearing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes i am thinking it is, as when turning left the load is put on the right wheel hence the bearing, hence its causing the horrid grating grinding noise, also the car seems to want to pull to the right when on the motorway as well and also i can hear a whistling noise as well.

i have replaced, wishbones, brake pads, lollipop bushes, droplinks and track rods and topmounts.

what else could it be ? makes sense that when load is applied to the right wheel when turning left its the bearing thats screwed.

I have an e36 that i'm breaking for parts so going to just take the hubs and fit new bearings into those and then swap them over :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
had the same issue with my e36 318 is coupe , was out of ideas ,turned out both engine mounts were shagged and when cornering the engine moved and vibrated on chassis which sounded like grinding noise , you may have same problem ? worth looking at

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do i check for play in the mounts, they seem to be solid when i examined them, must admit i have budget q drive e30 wishbones on the car can a ball joint cause no grinding knocking when travelling straight or going over rough road but be faulty when turning ?, i've tried the prybar to check for movement and there is none as far as i can see ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
i diagnosed my noise with engine running , gave the engine a good pull from one side , the noise came on when pulling on engine , thought it was only one side but when i did the side that was sheared off i noticed other side was sheared also , never thought the grinding was due to engine mounts , like you i thought it was bearing or bushes .

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
checked those seem fine, so i found a little empty car park space near my work and went round and round and its knock knock knock from driver side and a faster knocking when pulling into a road at speed or parking space, i'm thinking lower ball joint ? can't think it being anything else.

to be honest it would not suprise me as i did stupidly use cheap arms, its my own fault really.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update, got my lovely mrs to turn the wheel with the car on the floor from a certain point and i went round checking the ball joints and i can feel knocking from both outer ball joints and track rod end ball joints now surely it cant be all of them so is the outer ones sound travelling down, i'd be very suprised if the lemforder track rod ends have failed so quick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts