BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right I thought I would get one of these going, then hopefully it will kick me up the bum to start doing bits to the Bimma :)

Few pics as she stands now -

(minus the rear window, which now needs replacing)
Standard 193 bhp, have a Gruppe M carbon fibre induction kit (whether its a replica or not im unsure, more pics to be added later)

Plans:-

• Manifold from the 325
  • Remap
  • M3 cams
  • exhaust (unsure which yet)
  • Deep dish wheels (not aftermarket, but bmw) 17"
  • Lower (not sure how low yet, want it just to sit nicely)

At the moment, I have turned into a power head and want more power.
There are a few tweaks here and there that need to be made.. for example I need a new camshaft. This should be fixed at the end of the month.

Not going for many visual mods as I did that with my previous car, but would still like her a head turner.

In my personal opinion a BMW is a classic car and not much should be tweaked with, unless your talking about the engine ;) wheels shoudl set her off nicely, and then its a case of keeping her clean!

:thumbsup Thats it....! for now :D

EDIT - couple more pics added..

·
Registered
401 Posts
get staggered if your going for deepdish, 17's up front 18's on the rear, expensive but well worth the outcome if you choose the right wheels, good luck with it, already a stunner

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont suppose you have an example of that do you?
Cant say as I have ever heard of staggered wheels? Is it legal ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Staggered wheels in this case would mean different widths and consequently different offsets. So your rears would be wider than the fronts. This looks particularly good on wheels with a dish because the rear dish would be deeper.

It's perfectly legal. In fact many BMWs come with this as standard. Like mine.

·
Banned
344 Posts
Dont suppose you have an example of that do you?
Cant say as I have ever heard of staggered wheels? Is it legal ?
my wheels on my e46 are staggared but i would stay the same size as think if you had bigger wheels on the back to the front it would look like a drag car!

·
Registered
401 Posts
like he said above, the idea is it makes the rear wheel stand out more and it makes the whole rear of the car look nicer, for instance if you run 8j on the front or 8 inch you run 8.5 or 9j on the rear or 9 inch, gives it a better stance and makes the dish look really nice, might be an idea to get the dish smoked aswell(dark black tinted chrome) that also gives the impression of depth again making the car look a lot more intresting, but make sure the wheels you get are rated for the power your going to put through them i know a guy whose put 20inch rims on his vito van and they disentegrated as he done 140 mph in it, they are rated at 100 mph due to them being a show wheel.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my wheels on my e46 are staggared but i would stay the same size as think if you had bigger wheels on the back to the front it would look like a drag car!
Ok thanks :)

So there exactly the same wheels, but with a different offset on the rear too.

I dont know if im confident enough to order something like that lol, I will more than likely mess it up :(

·
Banned
344 Posts

I dont know if im confident enough to order something like that lol, I will more than likely mess it up :(
www.swtyres.co.uk have a look on here as this is were A20 and myself would recommend as they now there stuff and would not sell you something that is not right for your car (but they only sell aftermarket wheels).

Also remeber that if you go the dish route they wont look as big as if you had a spoke that went to the edge!

Stu

·
Registered
401 Posts
the larger dimaeter wheel on the back is down to preference, i prefer it with deepdish as it makes the rear dish more dominant wich atrrats attention, the whole point of the wheels is attentionso its not a bad thing.
if you have a nosey around on the web you will find a lot of places will already have options for staggered wheels as its quite a common thing to have now and you dont usually need to state what you need, just make sure you research what you want and it might also pay to get on photoshop to try wheels out before you buy them.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts

Mel if you would like any advice then just give me a shout as if I do not know the answers then I have friends who are VERY in the know when it comes to supplying wheels for the E36 BMW.

Don't confuse yourself or let people confuse you with offsets etc as it is the wheel centres job to supply you with a wheel that fits your car correctly:thumbsup

All you have to do is choose a design you like:thumbsup

You could start by browsing here http://swtyres.co.uk/gallery for ideas

PS you'll find that most deep dish wheels available are for the 5 series and not the 3 series:frown This is a reason to look at after market wheels too:thumbsup

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks hun :)
Wont be buying them for a while yet anyways, want to get something decent, so will save up, But i would like an idea of what I want :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha its the funds im lacking at the moment :( Too many household bills this month !

The camshaft sensor is booked in for the end of the month :)

Then first thing on the list is lowering it.. Which will be done by the 10th April :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you decided on what springs you are using yet? :)

Not the foggiest yet..!

Always had Jamex on the punto and I liked the suspension, was dropped 45mm.

Need to do some research really.. Also need to know how low each set of springs is, ie 30mm etc etc..

As I dont know how low to go, I saw one for 60mm on ebay, with a 35mm on rear..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts