BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's..
Please help if possible before i set fire to my car as it seems one problem after another... :mad

I have recently noticed a Humming noise from the rear of the car, It seems to happen on deceleration more than anything, I can hear it when i accelerate but it's much more prominent when i take my foot off the accelerator..
It only really gets louder when i get the car to over 40mph and ease of the throttle..
At first i was thinking it was a wheel bearing..? but i would have thought it would be a constant hum rather than a fluctuating hum..? i am now worried it could be the drive shaft ?
Anyway has anyone had the same problem and what was it?

Cheers...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi .
I have jacked it up and quickly tried to see if there was any play in the wheel but i could not tell.. i did not want to risk it too long as i only hae the flimsy BMW Jack..
The sound seems to be quite central in the rear of the car, but it's hard to tell really.
There are no vibrations at all, and the noise does not appear to change when going round corners.. although i thought it did this morning but i can't be 100% sure because i have to be up to such a speed and decellerate before i can really hear it clearly... i am pretty confused.. would a CV joint or diff be expensive to replace? Garage prices and Labour..?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok will do, thanks chap, i am going to try and get it to a garage in the next week as it's really bugging me, i know i need a ball joint doing on the front, i may just get them to do the bushes all round and rear bearings at the same time.. depending at what i will be looking at for cost..?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts