BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Is anyone able to shed any light on this for me?

The auxiliary fan (the electric one) does not run on high speed, I am activating this by shorting the connections at the thermostat switch, I got a second fan, but this had the same issue.
So I put 12 volts in to the fan & it now runs at both high & low speeds.
Put back in the car & still only running at low speed, so now I know it's not the fan.
I have also replaced (what I believe to be) the high speed relay, but still no joy.

There are voltages everywhere I'd expect to see them, but no high speed fan.

Would anyone have the part numbers for the high & low speed relays?
And also, can the relays be swapped round (so in a perfect world, my low speed would not work, but high would).

Apologies for the long post, but with summer looking like it is here, the last thing I want is a car overheating again.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ronnie

Thanks for the info, some real good stuff there :thumbsup
Just been out & checked the relays, High speed is fine & has voltages at both points mentioned, but thelow speed relay is looking very tired to say the least!
Also, there is power to one but not the other point mentioned (30 & 86), but not the other, there is also power to almost every other point going to the relay, now unless the Ben:loltley manual is wrong, this does not sound right.

Do you know where I can trace these wires back to or would you say I'd be best trying the relay first, for the sake of a few quid?
Thanks again.

Stuart

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

I installed a new low speed relay & I am very pleased to say, that my auxiliary fan is now working fine.
So if anyone has a similar issue in the future, as Ronnie suggested above, I'd recommend changing both relays.
Thanks.

Stuart

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.