BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi newbie here,

Just bought a 94 e36 325i to replace my 2.0 16v fiesta.

Its a great car but just lacks a bit of power compared to what i had.

I want to tune it slightly without spending alot of money. Ive read that M3 cams can be fitted and give a decent gain. From what i can gather only the intake cam is actually a different profile and i keep seeing US spec cams being used. Can UK M3 cams be used, as they will obviouslly be easier to source? Also does it matter which e36 M3 they come from?

Im thinking with the cams and with the BMC carbon fibre induction kit i had on my fiesta fitted, that it should give me a decent gain in the high revs. Especially if i can get it setup to match. Anyone done this and know what kinda of performance increase i can expect?

Also if there are any other ways to improve perfomance on the cheap please let me know.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Hi newbie here,

Just bought a 94 e36 325i to replace my 2.0 16v fiesta.

Its a great car but just lacks a bit of power compared to what i had.

I want to tune it slightly without spending alot of money. Ive read that M3 cams can be fitted and give a decent gain. From what i can gather only the intake cam is actually a different profile and i keep seeing US spec cams being used. Can UK M3 cams be used, as they will obviouslly be easier to source? Also does it matter which e36 M3 they come from?

Im thinking with the cams and with the BMC carbon fibre induction kit i had on my fiesta fitted, that it should give me a decent gain in the high revs. Especially if i can get it setup to match. Anyone done this and know what kinda of performance increase i can expect?

Also if there are any other ways to improve perfomance on the cheap please let me know.
Your 325i lacks power compared to your fiesta? A fiesta St is 150 bhp, it's lighter so it (should) get to 60 in 7.9 seconds - 0.1 seconds faster, but it's 15 mph slower... and a fwd girls car. :lol2

Right, to answer your questions. No a UK M3 won't have compatible cams... sorry. It's a US e36 M3 or nothing.

An induction kit will offer very little (if any) gains, the 325 is already pretty free flowing. Just go for a decent replacement panel filter and a remap - you'll be looking at around a 12 -15 bhp gain.

Other than that, a sports cat exhaust system, upgraded suspension and shedding unnecessary weight are the only real cheap options left.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your 325i lacks power compared to your fiesta? A fiesta St is 150 bhp, it's lighter so it (should) get to 60 in 7.9 seconds - 0.1 seconds faster, but it's 15 mph slower... and a fwd girls car. :lol2

Right, to answer your questions. No a UK M3 won't have compatible cams... sorry. It's a US e36 M3 or nothing.

An induction kit will offer very little (if any) gains, the 325 is already pretty free flowing. Just go for a decent replacement panel filter and a remap - you'll be looking at around a 12 -15 bhp gain.

Other than that, a sports cat exhaust system, upgraded suspension and shedding unnecessary weight are the only real cheap options left.
My fiesta was a mk3.5 with a 2.0 16v zetec engine. The engine was high compression, with raceline head and matching cams and a few other bits and bobs. Also had a quaife ATB diff. Was featured in performance ford and fast ford and trust me it would eat any 325i easily as id raced a few. Was timed with proper timer gear at Brunters air field 0-60 in 6 seconds and that was in the wet with a std ecu on std map. Defo wasnt a girls car.

http://www.rs1800.clara.net/damos_ass.avi
http://www.rs1800.clara.net/half_decent_handbrake.avi

Dont know how im going to source some US cams then, why cant the Uk ones be used out of interest?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also i read the coupes have mtec spec suspension and that it was only an option on saloons. How can i tell if i have the mtec spec and will some off a coupe fit if i get some. Also what is the difference? slightly lower and stiffer?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
My fiesta was a mk3.5 with a 2.0 16v zetec engine. The engine was high compression, with raceline head and matching cams and a few other bits and bobs. Also had a quaife ATB diff. Was featured in performance ford and fast ford and trust me it would eat any 325i easily as id raced a few. Was timed with proper timer gear at Brunters air field 0-60 in 6 seconds and that was in the wet with a std ecu on std map. Defo wasnt a girls car.

Dont know how im going to source some US cams then, why cant the Uk ones be used out of interest?
For US M3 cams, either use ebay - changing the options to list internationally. Or buy them from BMW UK - you're looking at a grand for the pair.

The US 'M3' is just a tuned M52, it only makes 240 bhp. The euro M3's use a different engine.

Buying a UK 3.0 or 3.2 M3 engine and loom etc is the best bet if you've got money to spend and want a big performance increase - 100bhp plus.

And yeah... a fiesta is a girls car. :hihi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For US M3 cams, either use ebay - changing the options to list internationally. Or buy them from BMW UK - you're looking at a grand for the pair.

The US 'M3' is just a tuned M52, it only makes 240 bhp. The euro M3's use a different engine.

Buying a UK 3.0 or 3.2 M3 engine and loom etc is the best bet if you've got money to spend and want a big performance increase - 100bhp plus.

And yeah... a fiesta is a girls car. :hihi
Was thinking of going m3 power but might aswell buy an m3 if i was going to do that. Wanted to do some cheap upgrades to release a bit more poke dont want to spending loads as it aint worth it and ive had enough of spending silly money on cars.

Your just the kind of bloke i liked racing in my fiesta. Just to see there face when theyve been cained off by a 'girls car'

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Your just the kind of bloke i liked racing in my fiesta. Just to see there face when theyve been cained off by a 'girls car'
That 'face' is the face of someone not bothered. Having a faster/slower car than me doesn't bother me either way. I drive at the speed I feel comfortable at, if you want to drive faster that's your choice.

Oh, and I don't race on the road - I save it for the track. Racing on the road is dangerous, irresponsible and means nothing... an M3 with TCS 'beating' a Fiesta - or any two cars in completely different classes (power/drive/weight) would mean nothing.

Go get a race licence, we'll get two identical cars and go to Donnington - then we'll look at your face... :hihi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That 'face' is the face of someone not bothered. Having a faster/slower car than me doesn't bother me either way. I drive at the speed I feel comfortable at, if you want to drive faster that's your choice.

Oh, and I don't race on the road - I save it for the track. Racing on the road is dangerous, irresponsible and means nothing... an M3 with TCS 'beating' a Fiesta - or any two cars in completely different classes (power/drive/weight) would mean nothing.

Go get a race licence, we'll get two identical cars and go to Donnington - then we'll look at your face... :hihi

Your a right moody one aint ya. You were the one trying to take the mick out of me, quoting figures to try and make me look stupid. Not my fault you jumped the gun without the info and looked like an idiot

Your telling me you have never had little race on the rd is load of crap. Everyone who is into cars has. Im not talking racing down a 30 road at 3.15 when there is kids and that about, as that is for little boy racers with no sense. Having a little race on a dual carriage way/motorway or back roads when it is clear and safe is not a problem in my opinion and every car enthusiast has done it

I have driven on track and love it been to Brunters twice and silverstone with my fiesta. My mate is building a dakar spec pulsar up that we will be taking on track. Also i do motox and have been to all the local tracks with my YZ, aswell as all the local 4x4 tracks with my suzuki sj. So im pretty experierenced with driving fast in any type of car and bike on track and that is where i get my speed fix from.

Not even goto rise to the 'Go get a race licence, we'll get two identical cars and go to Donnington - then we'll look at your face'. Its like saying my dad is bigger than your dad etc lol. Grow up mate. You might be faster than me round track or you might not be, doesnt matter to me in the slightless cause your a condescending idiot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, are we diverting from the original topic? :sarcastic
yes we are sorry mate. hate stuck up people trying to make a newbie look like an idiot.

Anyways i would still like some tips on cheap ways to improve my bmw. Really want parts off other bmws i can fit to improve it slightly to keep costs down.

The cam bits i now know. So looks like i need US spec cams. Are these S50 cams? thats what ive seem them referred as.

Would also like to know how i can tell if my saloon has the optional mtec suspension setup. If it doesnt what suspension setups can i get off other bmws that will fit and improve it. Coupe suspension?

Also lsd's , was it an option on non m3 e36's ? what ones will fit from other bmws?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
yes we are sorry mate. hate stuck up people trying to make a newbie look like an idiot.
Mate, I've been answering your questions and trying to help. My first post was merely questioning why your 325 felt so much slower than your Fiesta - a heavily modded Fiesta explains that. I wasn't quoting figures to make you look stupid.

Sorry for poking fun at your old car, but this is a BMW forum, why get so defensive?

"Your a right moody one aint ya.",
"Grow up mate. You might be faster than me round track or you might not be, doesnt matter to me in the slightless cause your a condescending idiot."
"hate stuck up people trying to make a newbie look like an idiot."

You throw around a lot of insults considering that I'm apparently stuck-up and condescending.

Neal - Sorry about this.

To answer your question about the LSD, iirc the 328i LSD should fit, but double check - some smaller capacity e36's use a smaller case rear-diff, but I'm assuming the 325's is the same as the 328i's.

Only pre-ASC 328i sports have an lsd as standard (other than the M3 - which uses a different drive ratio). Check my earlier thread, there's one listing the part number and cost.

Reactions: Sunil325i

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mate, I've been answering your questions and trying to help. My first post was merely questioning why your 325 felt so much slower than your Fiesta - a heavily modded Fiesta explains that. I wasn't quoting figures to make you look stupid.

Sorry for poking fun at your old car, but this is a BMW forum, why get so defensive?

"Your a right moody one aint ya.",
"Grow up mate. You might be faster than me round track or you might not be, doesnt matter to me in the slightless cause your a condescending idiot."
"hate stuck up people trying to make a newbie look like an idiot."

You throw around a lot of insults considering that I'm apparently stuck-up and condescending.

Neal - Sorry about this.

To answer your question about the LSD, iirc the 328i LSD should fit, but double check - some smaller capacity e36's use a smaller case rear-diff, but I'm assuming the 325's is the same as the 328i's.

Only pre-ASC 328i sports have an lsd as standard (other than the M3 - which uses a different drive ratio). Check my earlier thread, there's one listing the part number and cost.
Was only getting defensive as your taking the mick out of a car that i spent years speccing and working on. It may have only been a fiesta but performance handling wise it was in a totally differnt league.

I accept you apology and apoligise to you for going off on one.

No hard feelings and thanks for the info.

Take it a m3 lsd is totally different then, i need an early 328 sport one. Did all sports come std with an lsd.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Was only getting defensive as your taking the mick out of a car that i spent years speccing and working on. It may have only been a fiesta but performance handling wise it was in a totally differnt league.

I accept you apology and apoligise to you for going off on one.

No hard feelings and thanks for the info.

Take it a m3 lsd is totally different then, i need an early 328 sport one. Did all sports come std with an lsd.
That's ok mate, it wasn't meant to be hostile, just as a casual joke.

The M3 lsd has different mounting flanges (6 bolt not 4), as far as I recall - so you'd need the rear axles and a few more bits. I'm pretty sure the M3 diff is a 3.15 ration instead of the 2.93 that the 328 has. So you'd lose some top speed, but it should benefit your acceleration (but maybe not your 0-60 because it would add another gear change).

·
Registered
210 Posts
cheap tuning bits...cheap tuning bits...ummmmm

ohh you could get an 'electric supercharger' and a thing for your exhaust to sound like a turbo - should be good for a few bhp?

you fiesta sounds like my civic matey - utterly self indulgent toy. Loves it. (I know a guy called mark who iirc did the first mk3 2.0 zetec conversion, must have been 6 or 7 years ago now, I remember it felt quick then lol).

You've also done exactly what I've been considering and are having the issues that are stopping me from doing it -

-there's not a lot of scope for tuning the 325i
-it's going to need a LOT of kick to feel as quick as the small car / big engine combination.

The only two things I can really proffer are:

cheap / reliable / power - you can only ever have two of the three.

Add lightness - the e36 is a 195bhp car. It weighs 1495kg. You should be able to get that down by 100kg (in fact there's a thread in this forum about weight saving on a 325i). Knocking 100kg off will do more for the pace of the car than adding another 20-30bhp.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.