BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again all,

I have just bought some grooved and drilled discs, but unsure of what pads to throw on.

The car is purely for track and I know I am heavy on the brakes. Tries yellowstuff on the old car and they set on fire and wore out in half a day.
The Pagids lasted lots of days but are £200 a pair, and I would ideally like something less expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks !

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ferodo DS2500 is what I use on the M3 for trackdays...They are moderately hard (so need a bit of warming up to be at optimum) and they can be a bit noisey, but they last well enough...dunno on the price for standard E30, though...

I also used them in my 02 racer without any issues...

If the pads catch fire, then the issue is cooling, really...
If you haven't already done so, then remove the backing plates and replace the foglights (or blanking plates) with some ducting to direct cool air onto the discs...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ferodo DS2500 is what I use on the M3 for trackdays...They are moderately hard (so need a bit of warming up to be at optimum) and they can be a bit noisey, but they last well enough...dunno on the price for standard E30, though...

I also used them in my 02 racer without any issues...

If you haven't already done so, then remove the backing plates and replace the foglights (or blanking plates) with some ducting to direct cool air onto the discs...

Thanks for that-I will do the fog light mod as soon as I can.

The previous car was a Subaru, and just ate brakes all the time.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Is there anyone that sells a ready to fit kit for that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
You don't actually need anything special....I length of (4" or so diameter) flexible metal or plastic ducting and some zip-ties is all that is required.

If you remove the foglight and backing plate, then just cut a length of the ducting and route it from the vacant space to the strut tower above, behind or just in front of the brake disc and zip-tie it to the front spolier/valance, the strut tower and, perhaps somewhere along the way depending on the routing...

There is (I think) a factory option for the E36 as I believe the M3GT had brake ducts fitted instead of fogs. (part no11 in this diagram http://bmwfans.info/original/E36/Cou/M3-S50/ECE/L/M/1994/08/mg-51/ill-51_2270/

I don't know if it will fit the standard front...bit of research should help, but it is a *lot* cheaper than that aftermarket effort!!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
You don't actually need anything special....I length of (4" or so diameter) flexible metal or plastic ducting and some zip-ties is all that is required.

If you remove the foglight and backing plate, then just cut a length of the ducting and route it from the vacant space to the strut tower above, behind or just in front of the brake disc and zip-tie it to the front spolier/valance, the strut tower and, perhaps somewhere along the way depending on the routing...

There is (I think) a factory option for the E36 as I believe the M3GT had brake ducts fitted instead of fogs. (part no11 in this diagram http://bmwfans.info/original/E36/Cou/M3-S50/ECE/L/M/1994/08/mg-51/ill-51_2270/
Hey, could this finally be a useful application of those crappy 'electric' turbo's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.