BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I would be more than happy if you could help me regarding my 323i!

Today when I checked my beloved one I noticed less than 1mm silverish film on the inside of the oil cap:jaw-dropping. The engine does not overheat, no exhaust smoke at all, the temp needle sticks in the middle, no smelling and the oil dipstick is clean from any mayo or milky stuff. The car was driven April-May 300miles and 50 miles in the past 1,5-2 month. Today I took it for a mile, the coolant was at operating temp after 10 mins and it always stays there... When I parked my car I noticed a very thin silver film on the cap and on the wall of the valve cover 5mm from the top of the valve cover cap hole. All had the same thickness <1mm. I have never seen this on my car, when I took it from London to Swansea it was clean. Is it just moisture caused by the short distance of driving? I have to mention that after the mile I drove it today the oil cap was not hot just warm. Is it a blown gasket???:confused:confused I think it is just the fact that it was not driven for a long time, but I wanna be sure because I am worried about my beloved one:/// 106391 miles are in the engine:cool

20140721_105327_Android.jpg 20140721_105333_Android.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
The 6 cylinder engines are quite 'steamy' engines and doing lots of short trips where the engine doesn't get nice and hot can create this 'mayo' on the oil cap and dipstick this is quite normal.

You seem to know what the signs of a blown HG look like and from your description your car seems totally fine. I wouldn't worry at all, give it a trip on the motorway one in a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 6 cylinder engines are quite 'steamy' engines and doing lots of short trips where the engine doesn't get nice and hot can create this 'mayo' on the oil cap and dipstick this is quite normal.

You seem to know what the signs of a blown HG look like and from your description your car seems totally fine. I wouldn't worry at all, give it a trip on the motorway one in a while.
Thank you for your fast reply! I had hope that I will get this answer:) I love cars and I am a DIY guy, so I am kinda worried if I notice any or possible problem:/The most interesting for me that after I cleaned the cap and put it back for a few mins it got again this stuff on it ??? when I cleaned it 2nd time and checked it after 5 mins it was all ok, I hope as you said and I hope that it is just the fact that it was not driven for quite a long time as a BMW should have been driven... Thank you for your answer and I am looking forward to your reply :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
coolant loss is the key to hg diagnosis. as above take it for a 75 mile run without stopping you need this kind of distance to get rid and it should be gone if not monitor coolant use very carefully.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coolant loss is the key to hg diagnosis. as above take it for a 75 mile run without stopping you need this kind of distance to get rid and it should be gone if not monitor coolant use very carefully.

Yesterday I had a look at the oil cap and the inner wall of the VC and surprisingly I did not see any mayo look alike residue, then I started the engine and decided to remove the cap to listen to any camshaft noises, but for my surprise I noticed that when I removed the cap( running engine) the idle became rough and I felt quite a big negative vacuum. I know that engines are engineered to operate with cap on it, but on all my cars (Passat 1.8T, Megane II, Fiesta RS) I did not experience negative vacuum ( enough to suck back the cap to make it more difficult than normal to remove it) or rough idle when removed the cap. Is it a possibly clogged CCV valve??

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
These engines require crankcase vacuum to be able to circulate oil vapor to the manifold via the CCV to be burned off, the the fact that it's doing this when you take the oil cap off is a good sign. It idles rough when off as your are introducing a huge airleak into the system.

If it was positive it would be pushing oil past seals and gaskets and making your car smoke.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Agree with the above, if i do nothing but drive mine around town then that mayo appears everywhere. Needs a good long thrashing to burn it all off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts