BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm completely new to BMW's being a Ford man, and i've just bought myself this today! Luckily nothing has fallen off on the drive home so it's all going well so far.

My plans are, lower it on coilovers, full decat exhaust and enjoy the summer in it! Any advise on what suspension and exhaust to go for would be fantastic.

Let me know what you think about it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very nice colour,with Alpina wheels and hardtop....:cool

I would put on Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks :cool
Also fit an M50B25 Manifold to release those ponies :thumbsup

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Why would you want to spoil such a beautiful car for? Some of the convertibles were already fitted with sport suspension as fitted to the 328 sport, I would check to see if this is the case, and if it hasn't got this already, then I would fit that.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Hello! I'm completely new to BMW's being a Ford man, and i've just bought myself this today! Luckily nothing has fallen off on the drive home so it's all going well so far.

My plans are, lower it on coilovers, full decat exhaust and enjoy the summer in it! Any advise on what suspension and exhaust to go for would be fantastic.

Let me know what you think about it!

lovely car mate and looks in good nick,scorpion exhaust and eibach springs should do it nicely

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
"nothing has fallen off" :hihi the cars looks a peach mate enjoy the sunshine and welcome to the forums :thumbsup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments guys, i'm very pleased with the car the more I drive it, especially for the money I paid! There's barely a mark anywhere on the car, done 117k with full history and I believe apart from the headlights and the wheels, it's completely standard. Paid £2600 for it. And the soft top is completely mint and fully working!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Why would you want to spoil such a beautiful car for? Some of the convertibles were already fitted with sport suspension as fitted to the 328 sport, I would check to see if this is the case, and if it hasn't got this already, then I would fit that.
I will check it over next week mate, i'm a mechanic so it needs to be done anyway! The more I drive it the more I think I should leave it almost standard because it's a really nice drive.

We will see though, the plan is to do a 2500 mile euro roadtrip in August so will see how it goes before then!

Quick question, drivers window stops when you send it up, the only way to get it up (ooh err!) is to send it up in tiny stages, is this a common problem? Regulator possibly?

Ta!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys, i'm very pleased with the car the more I drive it, especially for the money I paid! There's barely a mark anywhere on the car, done 117k with full history and I believe apart from the headlights and the wheels, it's completely standard. Paid £2600 for it. And the soft top is completely mint and fully working!

I will check it over next week mate, i'm a mechanic so it needs to be done anyway! The more I drive it the more I think I should leave it almost standard because it's a really nice drive.

We will see though, the plan is to do a 2500 mile euro roadtrip in August so will see how it goes before then!

Quick question, drivers window stops when you send it up, the only way to get it up (ooh err!) is to send it up in tiny stages, is this a common problem? Regulator possibly?

Ta!
Good to hear you may not spoil this beauty. If the struts are yellow in colour, then your car has the Avus pack fitted, which was fitted to some 328isports, mine included. It may however been changed by a previous owner. First thing I would do, is visit your local dealer, and get a build sheet of the car, detailing everything that was spec'ed on the car when new. By the way, the Avus pack, was made by Bilstein, and supplied to BMW. I believe, Euro Car Parts sell a replacement set, at a fraction of what BMW want, so I would consider that as a realistic option over anything else.
Keep us all informed on your progress. For the money you paid, you've got what could be an absolute bargain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear you may not spoil this beauty. If the struts are yellow in colour, then your car has the Avus pack fitted, which was fitted to some 328isports, mine included. It may however been changed by a previous owner. First thing I would do, is visit your local dealer, and get a build sheet of the car, detailing everything that was spec'ed on the car when new. By the way, the Avus pack, was made by Bilstein, and supplied to BMW. I believe, Euro Car Parts sell a replacement set, at a fraction of what BMW want, so I would consider that as a realistic option over anything else.
Keep us all informed on your progress. For the money you paid, you've got what could be an absolute bargain.

Thanks for the information mate that's very useful, i've got friends that work at BMW so i'll be sure to do that at some point.

I'm surprised how well it handles for a large car, especially a convertible. All convertibles i've driven in the past have been shockingly bad, twisting all over the place kind of thing!

Ideally I want to replace the front two seats, they have been re-dyed in the past and it has started to go a bit funny. I presume all seats across the e36 range are interchangeable? IE seats from a coupe would fit a cab?

Ta, James.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah, coupes and convertible front seats are interchangable, but the rears are common to the verts only. You can normally pick up seats quite regularly. Are yours the sport seats or standard ones'?
BMW's are renowned for being pretty rigid, compared to other convertibles out there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perfect, I have spied a fair few on ebay so that's good. I believe they're the sport ones, with the slide out bit under your thighs? Also surprised to find it's got a brand new 16" bmw alloy wheel and tyre spare, with full tool kit, torch etc etc!

Happy days.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
WOW!!! GORGEOUS!!!!

I cant say much else... just a stunner!!!

Good luck with the project!!!

Any major plans????

The window problem you have is a common one - BUT cant remember how it is rectified.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers for the comments people, much appreciated. Ideally I do want it lowered as it sits noticeably lower at the back.

Here are a few new pictures, I gave it a clean in the brief sunshine we had today, cleans up unbelievably well for a 13 year old car!

I'm ideally looking for some m3 front seats in the same colour as the originals, anybody know of any for sale?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
that is a nice vert :thumbsup

Cheers for the comments people, much appreciated. Ideally I do want it lowered as it sits noticeably lower at the back.
usually that will be the optical illusion that is the arches. E36s always look lower at the rear

M3 seats? as in sport seats or vaders
sport seats in the same colour should be hard to come across but vaders on the other hand wont be as easy to track down in the same colour
you could get some black ones and dye them :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts