BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the useful guide, however I still have problems. Since a garage changed the headgasket and let the battery die during the month it took them to complete the job (!) the alarm will not function correctly.

The hazards lights flash a lot and the remotes don't trigger any action from the central locking or chirps from the siren. The fob batteries are good, I have removed the glovebox (incidentally all the screws were merely finger-tight so I think Mr Bodge at the aforementioned garage has been in there before me) and gone through the fob re-programme procedure, to no avail. Upon removing the alarm receiver and plugging back into the alarm module the central locking does not operate as stated it should, and there is no chirp or noise from the siren at all. I have resorted to cutting the feed to the hazard light switch as the hazards keep coming on whilst driving which is very frustrating. I have the small "emergency current" siren under the bonnet and I still have the key for it, it is switched on but does not make a sound.

I have fitted a new Bosch battery to the car and driven the car for a day or so to try and recharge any battery back up - but again, no joy. Is this small siren the only one fitted to late model E36's and does it contain a battery back up facility or is there a larger siren hidden somewhere with a battery back up?

At the moment I am tempted to just unplug the alarm module as the car starts fine everytime without any need to mess with the fobs, and perhaps I will cut the wire to the red LED which flashes away happily... but worried this might affect other stuff, probably at the most inconvenient occasion!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Ok, I assume it is my guide you have read...

[url]http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/e36-alarm-identification-guide-3t-2t-3g-ews-t39173/[/URL]

Check & make sure they have connected all the wires back up including those to the siren and bonnet pin.

Next, are you 100% certain you've tried reprogramming the module correctly? To clarify the receiver should be connected to the module when you do the programming and as you hold the module in your hand with the plug/wires coming out of the bottom the coding switch is right to program then must be pushed left afterwards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts