BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

just wondering. i have an (R reg)1997 E36 323i coupe with a 3g mk2 alarm fitted as standard. BUT, one of the previous owners have fitted a very poor and very cheap aftermarket alarm. its seriously tat.

i have had the car since last year and wanted to fit a thatcham 1 alarm until i realised that the standard alarm was thatcham 1.
i tend not to use the aftermarket alarm as its not very loud at all, its very sensitive and kicks off for no apparent reason so, its not used. its like living with a very sensitive but very quiet schyzophrenic if ya know what i mean?

now then, what i'm hoping to find out is if there is any way i can test the standard alarm to see if it works. i currently only use the key to open and lock the car as i dont have a fob for the standard alarm. the central locking works fine using the key but unsure if the standard alarm works. i was hoping to buy a fob from the net and prgramme it using the guide i found on here (i dont remember the guys name who put the guide on here so my apologies).
could some kind of test be carried out prior to buying the fob??

i'm not even sure if the interior sensors are for the standard alarm or the aftermarket tat! i hope someone can help as i would love to have my pride and joy protected.

cheers guys. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You cannot set the alarm without the keyfob.

You can unplug the vehicle battery to test the battery backup in the siren.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know I can't set it without the fob I pretty much said that in my post. What I wanna know is, is there anything that can be tested to give an idea if it's gonna work before I buy a fob? Would the fuse for the alarm be in the usual fuse box or would it be hidden? I assume it has no power as I had to disconnect the battery when doin work on my steering wheel (so the airbag wasn't trigger by accident). The standard alarm didn't trigger or chirp when the battery was reconnected. Just want to know if I could what the alarm would be connected to so I can start tracing cable to see if it's still connected etc...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The only thing you can test is in post 2.

If you wish to test the wiring with your multimeter, the connector pinout is in one of the 3rd page of BillyWizz's alarm thread.

EDIT: You can also use the siren key to mute and unmute the siren and backup siren.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,

I had a good look at the boxes behind the glove box and it looks like the alarm has been chopped and bypassed. Gutted!
Was hopin to get it working but it looks like I'm gonna have to strip it out and start again.
Or, hire an auto electrician to do it for me as I don't really have the time. My other option is to bite the bullet and have a new one fitted.
Basically, I found some of the White multi plugs had been unplugged from a black box which is bolted to the left hand side behind the glove box. It's held on with a metal bracket? I assume that part of it. The other boxes, which are stacked one on top of the other, has had some wires cut and others linked together. I'll try and put pics up but no idea how! Lol
I don't have a key for the switch on the back of the siren and I don't have fobs.
Back to square one :-(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I thought about doin that. They seem to sell pretty well. Cheers guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts