BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting what felt lyk the longest week of my life to finally pick up my bmw. Ive sadly been having problems with it only 4 hours into owner ship :(. Im not exactly the most mechanically minded person but i no bits n pieces. But back to my problem.

1. Car had a loss of power around 2 -3 grand of revs but the guy i bought the car off said that the air flow meter is to fault so he replaced it for me took it for a test run seemed fine.

2. Now i have the car in my ownership drove it home lookin as if i had a painted on smile. Got back to my area drove around for a bit and the car started running a bit rough and was loosing power at around 4 1/2 to 5 grand of revs.

3. When pulling up to juctions, traffic lights etc i engage the clutch and the car just cuts out and you need to turn it off and back on again and itll go until u press down the clutch and itll do it again and when sitting stationary the idle speed is below 1000rpm but if you disconnect the the airflow meter it runs fine sitting bang on 1000rpm with no shudders or misfires.

Anyone got an help to narrow this problem down?
Ive spoke to my m8 and he says that i should change the cam sensor as his went and the problems seemed the same as his. Does this seem the right thing to do?
Help and suggestions would be more than appreciated!
Cheers

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
A code read is your first step.

As the MAF sensor has been replaced, upon disconnecting it you state the car runs significantly better. I'd say the owner has replaced the MAF sensor with either another worn 2nd hand unit or an incompatible new unit. A quality OE replacement unit by Simens from GSFCP cost me about £180 and the part number matches the old BMW one.

The following sensors wear with age, cause intermittent problems or justa decline in performance rather than jsut die out completely. Personally I change all of these at approximately 60,000miles.

- Crankshaft sensor (circa £55 @ BMW)
- Camshast sensor inlet/outlet (circa £50 each @ Eurocarparts).
- 02 sensors NGK/NTK (circa £70 @ Eurocarparts)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Get the cars DME(ECU) fault codes read as this will tell you if you do have any stored faults.

You yourself can do some simple checks like checking for any air leaks from split induction pipes, engine breather pipes and vacuum pipes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts