BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about buying a bmw but i'm not really sure how much its worth. Its an N reg E36 320i convertible. Its blue with cream leather, auto, 50,000 miles ish, service history, NO tax or MOT. Completely standard, apparantly just needs tax and test.

Any ideas how much its worth?? i've tried looking through ebay and autotrader but it seems they can be advertised for anything between £1500-£3500.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Every car is different.

Of course, age and mileage comes into it, but a car can be old and have a lot of miles on it and still be worth a fair bit. You have to look out for condition of the bodywork, condition of the interior, scuffs here and there and stains on the interior would indicate at some point its had an owner thats not looked after it. Generally when I'm looking at cars I don't usually go for any cars without a current MOT unless the seller is prepared to MOT before the sale goes through - for own piece of mind of course - the car could look great but why hasn't it got an MOT? Of course it could just be that the seller has another car and cannot afford to pay for the MOT, or the seller could be hiding something.

Best bet in my opinion is to find several cars of similar calibre, and compare them in detail, if there's no close-up photos of the bodywork, ask for them etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A car of that age and mileage is rare. if its in tip top condition i would pay no more than 3k, obviously the lower the better so try and haggle.

if you dont mind me asking how much is the person asking for?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I wouldn't pay much with No MOT or TAX, if the car had fresh both then different matter, if the car is clean and without both I would offer them £600 max :hihi

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
IMO, its common sense to pay circa £40 for an MOT and sell the car with that as its a strong and vital selling point for any used car. Rather this as a seller than loose hundreds for not doing it.

Personally I always look at worse case scenarios, its got issues hence no MOT. If you like the car, you need to arrange an deal on the MOT ..... You could also request the car to be put through an MOT test and see what the outcome is prior to purchase. If it does need any work then thats a very stong negotiation point.

·
Registered
313 Posts
yea agree to all the above. if they won't put the car through an mot then walk.

get them to put through mot at their cost and then come back to them ..

mot just covers basic standards, anything major should be picked up there.

good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts