BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi there. i thought i would get a few opinions on an issue i have encountered in the adventures of my car and me.

a certain member kindly attempted to help me to read the codes today with a peake portable odbc1 barrell style reader, but we found that the car was showing an error. we looked at the port and it seems fine and not clogged up, we tried taking the battery off and resetting the ecu by draining it, no joy. there was no hazard lights after disconnecting the battery, should i have done something else to drain the ECUs?

it was mentioned that i might have to reboot with something, a different piece of kit. was there any recalls for this car to talk to odbc1? it's a '93 e36 ..

does anyone have any ideas on how to reboot the diagnostic port so i can read the codes with a peake/carsoft?

best,

xpress :)

RECALLS:

"ABS service bulletin 34 01 96: BMW circulated a service bulletin and low cost repair advice detailing the malfunction of the ABS unit wiring" which caused diagnostic bus problems on a large number of BMWs. This is often the problem on BMWs built prior to 10/1994 that are getting the "E" message on the R5/fcx code tool".

"Observe that pin 19 of your diagnostic connector is not recessed. A number of models had pin 19 improperly installed. BMW service bulletin 12 05 94".

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
No idea, when I have had communication problems before I twist the scanner plug in the diagnostic port and that has worked before for me, makes a better contact on the pins.

Also sometimes I've needed the car running rather than having the ignition on

·
Registered
11 Posts
a certain member kindly attempted to help me to read the codes today
Wonder who that could have been? :rofl

No idea, when I have had communication problems before I twist the scanner plug in the diagnostic port and that has worked before for me, makes a better contact on the pins.
The Peake has a keyway, so can't really do much twisting there...as xpress would say, a 'pac man' :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha, yea i wonder who :p

lollll a pac-man, i forgot i said that neal ha ha :p as you can see i am down with all the technical terms!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here's a snip of some info i found on the internets.

Technical Issues: the R5/FCX code tool

"Problem 1: Error message "E"
Occasionally the R5/FCX will flash "E" when an attempt is made to read codes or reset the check engine light. "E" means the car is not responding to the tool: This happens when the data line (also called "diagnostic bus") in the car is "hung" or disabled. In order for the tool to access information from the car it must first "hand shake," like your computer modem does with your ISP. To properly handshake there must be a clear data line to communicate on. Imagine a household with multiple phones or modems all sharing the same phone line, well, the BMW is similar; it has multiple control units (transmission, ABS, traction control, etc...) If one of these units is tying up the communication line (like a teenage girl on the household phone) all other devices on the line are unable to communicate. This happens quite often, but try the following procedures in the order given to determine the nature of your problem".

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Wonder who that could have been? :rofl

The Peake has a keyway, so can't really do much twisting there...as xpress would say, a 'pac man' :D
All the scanners I've used have a keyway on the plug, it worked for me :thumbsup

I knew it was you Monsieur Neal :hihi

I could feel a disturbance in the force ;)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
What do you think Ron? Would the Autologic or G1 fix his K-Bus hang?
I think without a doubt it would be worth trying another tool on there, it's a pity you aren't close Xpress as I would read it for you or pop it round my old works and get it done

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the force of the bmw!

could always do the pac-man jiggle.

i might be round your way tho in as many days at some point soon mr ronnie, at some point, sooner or later!

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts