BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all

I've been slowly and rather patiently been fixing up the coupe, and its basically at a point between being sprayed and not.

anyway, had a plan...

Been thinking of making up some arches similar to these, and then finishing the lot off with a matte black? its brilliant red at the mo but think matte black would look good in a trackcar kinda way?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
I think matt black wud look good, always wanted to spray my bike matt black, looks mean I reckon:thumbsup:hihi

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Coupled with arch extensions and some anthracite rims I think it'd look quite sweet.

Thats my idea, plus the paint would be cheap as two pack works out £100 a litre

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Thats spooky , i started a thread other day to ask where i might find that kit in the UK as id seen it for sale in the states. After seeing the kit i shut my eyes and imagined it without the big spoiler and with gloss black paint . You know what i was spot on after seeing this picture.
My thread , click here

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
As for yer matt black idea , sounds awesome man . I love the idea of a matt black car but i have been told the car has to be flawless before paint .
I am almost tempted to do my Capri in matt black as it is fully stripped and on a spit i can put that extra bit of effort into it .

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was your thread I replied to. The kit is rather expensive (£1k+)..

So my idea was to make some extensions and arches myself. Done similar things before, and the cars off the road at the mo so should be acheivable. Bit of fibreglass, filler, primer and cellulose matt black and should be achievable.

Without any spoiler whatsoever, and nice fat arches should look pimp

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Yeh mate youre well right . If my garage was a bit wider i may consider it for my car when it goes of the road in the summer. :hihi:hihi:hihi

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm lucky enough to have enough garage space for about 20 cars, as i have outbuildings.

however, im unlucky enough to have a parent that goes mental if theres more than one in there at a time. lol

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Yeh i read into that recently , is there a rough cost for it yet. And are there plenty of UK installers.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The paintwork is sort of half way towards a respray so covering it to preserve the underneath would be kinda pointless, plus to make and add the arches effectively they would need to be smoothed in.

I dont do half measures tho lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
been planning this alot, ordered some stuff to start making the arches.

I'm going to go for the method of modelling the arches onto the wings, and then making a mould from that. Hopefully I''ll be able to make up the front wings as replacement fibreglass items. possibly CF. the CF idea appeals more, as it will complement the matt black if I finish it to a duller weave pattern i.e. not like the conventional shine.

Depending on how well it goes I might look into doing the bonnet and possibly some other bits out of it too :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a pic from today, paintwork prepped a little, with fondmetal rims. each wheel extends out by an extra 40mm each side so I'll be looking to make the new arches around that size

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update, if anyone cares :d lol.

Been doing a bit over the last few weeks, started the arch extensions. Basic shape is made with blue foam and fibreglass tissue, then strengthening and even-ing out the shape of the wings with P40, and then a good skim of P38 to get the right shape and finish. Done a bit of the above to the front part of the wing to find the best way of doing the rest, all four arches are pretty much the right shape. Its getting there.

Arches are +50mm each side to accomodate the wheels, not going for big gay side skirts, just blending them in. After I get the arches somewhere near ready for the mould I'll be adapting some airflow ducts in to provide a bit of cooling and better wheel arch air flow. Not quite decided how im going to do the front and rear bumpers yet, got a few ideas.

In case anyones interested I've decided that a colour change is a gay idea and i'm going to stick with the red, I like the colour (plus i still have a bit of 2k left).

Also done a refurb of one of the wheels. The tyre wall is shot anyway so the overspray isnt an issue as it'll be getting a new tyre. Might use it as a spare cos its not as perfect a finish as I would like, just wanted to get an idea of what it would be like, and I like them.

Some might like this whole thing and some might hate it, but its something I wanted to do all of my own work on rather than buy any sort of homosexual max pooper kit (as none of them seem to suit the lines of the car..).

Its going to be M3 GTR-ish, but with my own lines and shape.

Any opinions welcome.

heres the pics, note that the arches aren't anywhere near the finish article, shape still needs building up.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bit of an update, nearly finished the shape of the arches. Started to skim over the shape ready for taking moulds. I think its somewhere near the look of the arches I originally aimed for, but toned down slightly and my own touch added..

(p.s. I hate the 'crystal' indicators, if anyone wants them make an offer)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts