BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Have an issue with my compact. Recently it has had a lot of moisture on the inside of the windscreen and the inside of the windows condense up quite quickly. Also, if the car is left idling for over 5 minutes, it will overheat, temp gauge hits max and steam from under the bonnet at very front of car.

Have suspected Head Gasket, but the oil looks fine and the car only has 64k on the clock so doubt its that. underside of oil cap fine too.

It's drinking water at the moment, I only do 22 miles a day and am giving it 1.5 litres a day!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers all

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Is the carpet wet at all?

Any sweet smell when you turn the heater on? like antifreeze?

The car needs the cooling system bleeding, also needs the system pressure testing. :thumbsup

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further check

Cheers for the advice mate. I just had a check and the carpet doesnt seem wet, although it was cold so maybe that masked a slight dampness. also it hasnt been driven since last Friday. Although I did start it for 5 minutes on Weds and when I checked it just now there was a lot of moisture on the inside of the windscreen and it took ages to start. It definitely seems to get moisture on the inside mainly when I start the engine for short periods.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers mate, I'll give it a go. I'm sure I've licked my finger after worse at some point lol. Would there be anything different with the exhaust fumes if its a head gasket? Got some water out the exhaust just now

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heater matrix for sure mate. some small amounts of water in the exhaust is normal i think but i m no expert.

My money is on the heater matrix.

cheers

Rigy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts