BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E36 318iS M44 (1997) Dropping the gearbox

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  E36Meerkat 
#1 ·
A question for you folks

Dropping the gear box down to get the clutch and fly wheel out... is it a simple case of removing the prop shaft and undoing the bolts and dropping it down? Or am I missing something here?

Cheers :D

#6 ·
well i wouldn't need to worry about taring items out and bleeding systems as it doesn't need to go back in. The car is getting scraped in a few days but the fly wheel and clutch have only done about 500 miles and it would be a waste not to utilize them in the new iS.

ace info! Thanks again buddy :thumbsup

oh and as for removing clutch and flywheel, simple pull out of the gear box? (maybe removing a few nuts and bolts)

#7 ·
Yea, yank the box off, then you'll have a bunch of bolts round the outside of the pressure plate, which will then fall off and drop the clutch.

To get the flywheel off, there are 6 or so big bolt in the middle. You may need to shock them off as they can be tight.

It will be heavy, so watch your toes.

#22 ·
Hope it went ok mate, the torx at the top are often a bit of a hassle if you haven't removed the inlet manifold and starter motor

Reactions: E36Meerkat
#24 ·
I wasn't going to take it out but now you've given me the option.... my dad is gonna hate me :rofl

yeah buddy that be ace thanks :D... though I was thinking of flogging the crane on eBay once I got it... dam.... suppose I could give it back :hih

ummm just have to find a way to get it, I'll PM you my number :thumbsup

And yes it's the green one that is being scrapped :thumbsup

didn't manage to do it today, needed extra hands so it has been moved to tomorrow :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.