BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for you folks

Dropping the gear box down to get the clutch and fly wheel out... is it a simple case of removing the prop shaft and undoing the bolts and dropping it down? Or am I missing something here?

Cheers :D

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
yep, although you'll need to get the exhaust out of the way, and disconnect the clutch cyl and reverse light switch.
Gear knob / linkage needs to come off too, but it is only about 8 bolts that connect it to the engine and they will pull apart, even if they will be quite stiff

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the man to answer :D

My exhaust from the cat back is gone already and the gear shifter is gone. I'll have a browse on the clutch control on realOEM to see how to take it apart.

Simple to do? (clutch control)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, you just undo 2 13mm -ish nuts on either side of the slave cyl, and it pulls out.

Don't disconnect the hydraulics and you shouldn't need to bleed it.
well i wouldn't need to worry about taring items out and bleeding systems as it doesn't need to go back in. The car is getting scraped in a few days but the fly wheel and clutch have only done about 500 miles and it would be a waste not to utilize them in the new iS.

ace info! Thanks again buddy :thumbsup

oh and as for removing clutch and flywheel, simple pull out of the gear box? (maybe removing a few nuts and bolts)

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Yea, yank the box off, then you'll have a bunch of bolts round the outside of the pressure plate, which will then fall off and drop the clutch.

To get the flywheel off, there are 6 or so big bolt in the middle. You may need to shock them off as they can be tight.

It will be heavy, so watch your toes.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!!

Oh one more question, reading that guide that ronnie posted up, is it a utter must to have the female torx sockets?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah they're cheap enough for a budget set, around £8 if you don't think you'd be using them in the future again..
I'll second that!!!

I bought a cheap set - the brand was toolzone I think and they've lasted me well over 2 years and inthink they only cost about £8-£9...

Have you also looked on TIS spaghetti on the net for removal etc... Just thought I'd put my 2 pence in!!!!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hal-frauds? (as in they sell them?)
Halfords is a rip off :hihi

I got my 13 piece set WITH RAIL lol of ebay for ~£8 delivered. The rail alone is a couple of quid plus it keeps everything neat in the tool chest :thumbsup

I think the brand was am-tech? Quailty was on par with sealey/draper to be honest

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well if they have the sizes I need then no worries....

Have to do it by tomorrow as car is off on monday! The pressure of parents....like having half a car on the front garden is a bad thing? Really?? :confused

:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well if they have the sizes I need then no worries....

Have to do it by tomorrow as car is off on monday! The pressure of parents....like having half a car on the front garden is a bad thing? Really?? :confused

:D
You may find a car shop will be cheaper with draper tools than halfords will be with there own brand tools....

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,361 Posts
You may find a car shop will be cheaper with draper tools than halfords will be with there own brand tools....
Which if is the pro range has a lifetime warranty!!

Get a halfords trade card and then the tool prices drop by quite an amount.
(Tell them you are a mechanic)

The trade card covers tools,parts, oil e.t.c.

(I don't work for halfords but have found the trade card to be useful when i am stuck on a sunday!!)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live on the isle of wight and the only "car" shops around are garages. The only real place for tools is halfords or the internet...unfortunately...and being that it needs to be done this weekend retrains the internet choice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts