BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI this is my first post so bare with me.

I drive an e36 318is coupe on a 99 T plate, for as long as i can remember the cars steering has seemed abit off. When i break it steers iratically in which ever direction it chooses. Not all the time but most of the time.

It also shakes when between aroun 50mph and 60mph when your breaking to come of the motorway.

Recently i had the trailing arm bushes replaced and it stiffend it up abit but it still fells loose. Drining on a dual carage way is ok but you drive down a road with lots of bumbs and pot holes then they drift the car off in any dirrection it wants. The worst are the lorry grooves in the first lane of the motorway , you get stuck in any of those and it just takes the car with it.

I have read in places the brakes could be warn and the rotors are warped?

I have no idea what the cause is, so

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
Lower arm rear bushes without a doubt! Around £10 each from the likes of GSF etc. Your car is exactly the same as mine, when i bought it i had to drive it 160 miles home on motorways ect, was pretty scary as mine were shot!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Lower arm rear bushes without a doubt! Around £10 each from the likes of GSF etc. Your car is exactly the same as mine, when i bought it i had to drive it 160 miles home on motorways ect, was pretty scary as mine were shot!"

Hi these are the bushes that i have already replaced, are these the ones your mentioning?

There part No5 five on the folowoing diagram.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
you may still get some tramlining if the rear bushes are shot too...you say you had the front bushes changed
were they good quality ones? powerflex are (imho) the best to use.
also,you may need to get the wheel angles adjusted back and front...called a 4 wheel alignment.
this is beyond the scope of a kwik fit type place tbh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for your reply, im a bit lost how many bushes are there? Front rears? The one i got replaced recenlty were at the front of the car and they were fro gsf for about 40 quid for the pair.

Are their bushes on the both ends of the arms then?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found this picture wihich makes more sense i had No1 replaced but the problem still there think the rear bushes are No 8

Does any one know what Numbers 2 and 5 are in the diagram.

Thanks for the help.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
No 2 and no 5 are anti-roll bar mounting bushes.
If you have had the front arm rear bushes replaced get the front ball joints checked because these can wear rapidly and the steering tie rods because the ball joints in the end of the rack wear.
Mine used to tramline because the o/s steering tie rod was worn.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Found this picture wihich makes more sense i had No1 replaced but the problem still there think the rear bushes are No 8
them are the ones i meant...no 8 :)
i had my car done in stages and they were 2nd last to be done...it was nearly perfect but the 4 wheel alignment was the icing on the cake

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the all the replies ill have a look at getting the rear bushess replaced asap and ill also get the fron ball joints and steering rods inspected.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got another question for any one who can help, ha it never ends. Think it must be the the front end , the steering rods etc. BUt any advice will help.

When i breaking as well as the wheel shaking and tramlining just as im about to stop, between 5 to 10 mph just as im applying the brake fully the wheel sometimes turns to the left or right on its own accord.

Notevery time but quite abit, it normally turns up to about a quarter of a full rotation to which ever side it wants to.

Could this be an imbalance in brake pressure, the tyres are full pumped up as their low profiles so i check them once a week so its not imbalances in the air pressure.

Any pointers in the right direction would help. Thanks

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
What air pressure are you running in the fronts?

Have the front ball joints on the lower arm been checked?

Also have the top strut mounts been checked?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Sounds like it could be the ball joints. I've replaced loads on mine:frown

I normally just replace the complete arm as it's quicker and easier but it does cost more:thumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.