BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i have a 1992 318i with the m40 engine and sometimes i get a really strong smell of petrol inside the car i have looked over the fuel tank and i cant see any leaks. i am wondering if this is a common fault or am i missing something.

And my 318i seems to use quite a bit of water i havent got any leaks or any signs of a head gasket leaking.

are these normal things for a e36 of this age

many thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
hi

i have a 1992 318i with the m40 engine and sometimes i get a really strong smell of petrol inside the car i have looked over the fuel tank and i cant see any leaks. i am wondering if this is a common fault or am i missing something.

And my 318i seems to use quite a bit of water i havent got any leaks or any signs of a head gasket leaking.

are these normal things for a e36 of this age

many thanks

As for the petrol smell, you need to check for fuel leaks around the engine bay..............may be fumes getting in the car from there.

Also the fuel pump and sender units underneath the rear seat- check for leaks.

are you sure you have no coolant leaks..........how much do u have to top up by and how often mate?

are there any coolant stains around the water pump pulley?

below the bottom edge of the rad, expansion tank?

also there is a water flange at the back on the cylinder head (in front of Bulkhead) -these tend to leak but are not easy to see.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will check these tommorrow fuel pump and sender units underneath the rear seat

i have to top up from about a inch to the max i went from north london to gatwick airport and back i parked up and checked and i had used about a inch of water from the max line.

i will check the water pump pully bottom edge of the rad, expansion tank and the water flange at the back on the cylinder head

sorry if this sounds a bit dopey mate but now you said about how often do i check the water not as often as i should.

sorry one more thing do e36 suffer from cracked manifolds if you know

many thanks m8

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
They aren't really common to have a cracked exhaust manifold, the bolts can snap or shear that hold them to the cylinder head which causes leaks from the exhaust.

As for your coolant leak, don't discount the rad cap, try parking your car on a large piece of cardboard then checking it in the morning and see if there's any staining, may help you trace the leak easier

·
BFuk Moderator
244 Posts
the fuel leak will be the hoses from the pump, take bottom half of rear seat out (lift at front) there are 2 oval plates held down with phillips head screws, remove the one on drivers side, hoses are probably perished and leaking, also check under passenger side while you are in there, fuel return hose etc in there onto guage sender unit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts