BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this may be a stupid question but, will the 318is 16v head fit on the 318i block? I know there is a difference in capacity but i just wondered if it would still fit as thats just a capacity difference. Cheers

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
IIRC there is a difference.

What is it you are trying to achieve?:confused

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting 16v instead of 8. As i think i need a head gasket anyway. Dont think ill bother and just buy a bigger engine. lol

·
Banned
478 Posts
sometimes tuning is that simple... id definately go for that engine swap mate...:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
The M40 is SOHC 8V.
The M42 is DOHC 16v.
I think he already knew that but just wanted to know if the cylinder head would fit on to his 318i 8v Block:thumbsup

Getting 16v instead of 8. As i think i need a head gasket anyway. Dont think ill bother and just buy a bigger engine. lol

Engine conversion is the best route when considering a hike in power. Well, unless you just sell the car and buy one with the bigger engine already in it:rofl

·
Registered
401 Posts
ive got a 328 lump on the bay now, ending soon tho, cheapest your gunna find a 328 lump tho!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i was going to swap the engine i would need to do some saving lol! Plus it would have to be the M3 3.0. Only 20 so don't think i could hack the insurance hike just yet! Although 3 years no claims is creeping up soon! Touch wood!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts