BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as above just need some quick info if possible.

My mate has just picked up a very cheap 316 coupe, and we are now goin drop a 2.5 in it just need to know what i need him to buy. Heres a list of things i think he needs.

Engine, loom, ecu and all under bonnet ancilarys
Does gearbox need to be changed or is a 316 the same?
diff can still be used i assume?
What about rad?
I no clocks will need to be changed but it will be a track only drift car so he wont need them.

Any info you can add to this would be great, thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
need abigger rad-especially if for the track,new suspension and bigger brakes.316 only has drums on the back so you'd need to convert them to discs.If you going to make a drift car then you'll need an LSD.Gearbox may mate up alright though

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
need abigger rad-especially if for the track,new suspension and bigger brakes.316 only has drums on the back so you'd need to convert them to discs.If you going to make a drift car then you'll need an LSD.Gearbox may mate up alright though
Yea no need for LSD mate, we will just well the 316 diff.

A bigger rad thought that might be the case I have one from a m50 auto, I could probably make that work.

As for the brakes the they have already be converted to discs do that shouldn't be a problem.

And suspension we will be whacking it on cheap coilovers.

If the box mates up then it will just be a matter of droping the engine an ancilarys in, relocating battery and sort out pas pipes.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you read Rym's sticky on engine conversions?He put an M3 engine into his 318 coupe-it covers probably everything you need to know about a conversion :thumbsup

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just searching through the forum on info on 318 to 2.5 swaps and came across this i thread I posted a few months back.

I'll give you an update on what happened with this, we ended up finding a donor 2.5 for 180 quid, when we picked it up it seemed to good to use for parts so we weighed it the 316 for 50 more than we paid for it. And set to work on the 2.5 after a few weeks we kept finding more and more problems with it and my friend got bored and decided to get rid I gave him 200 for it sold the engine for 150 to my mate and fitted it with him to his 2.5, used the diff for a spare and sold about 100 quid worth of parts kept everything else I could and weighed in the shell.

Just thought id let you no what happened to this conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts