BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'm tryin to remove a radio cassette from my BM, i know you remove face-unclip the surround-push a key in eachside of stereo and pull, simple!

the face comes off then you are left with the head unit with the plastic surround. the surround seems attached to the head unit with tiny tabs like the airfix models have (and when i try to lever off surround it looks like its gonna snap each of them, do i just need to be more heavy handed? :confused
there are about 7 screws in head unit but i didnt want to remove those incase not supposed to, as i didn want one of those moments ' I KNEW IT!! BLOODY KNEW IT!! -I KNEW I SHOULDNT AV DONE THAT!!' :rofl (had afew)
-this is my 1st port of call for this problem, anyone have ideas
i have both types of removal key but i dont see where they fit as surround is still attached.
going back to try remove-
i shall see about taking photo and adding but its dark now so may be no good! have read 1 thread similar from faz but no help to me i think

·
Registered
710 Posts
Do you need the surround for any other headunits?

If not, snap it out, and remove the stereo.

Reactions: itsabeema

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
On the sony stereos the plastic facia stays on. There should be two small slots about 5mm long in the left and right top corners. You should just push the long thin keys into those slots to release the stereo from the cage. You sometimes have to wiggle the headunit to release it. Hope this helps :thumbsup

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you need the surround for any other headunits?

If not, snap it out, and remove the stereo.
well yeh, compacts off road for sometime so was swapping units. cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the sony stereos the plastic facia stays on. There should be two small slots about 5mm long in the left and right top corners. You should just push the long thin keys into those slots to release the stereo from the cage. You sometimes have to wiggle the headunit to release it. Hope this helps :thumbsup
right the 'long flat thin keys' did manage to push past surround afterall and lock into place, :thumbsup but no matter how hard i pulled (and the dash/heater control was movin) the stereo wasnt budgin :mad,
one key jammed and cant get back out, so had to remove facia to release key (fiddly screws to get back on)

so this is how its supposed to come out but whether it will i dont know!!:frown

'wiggle it' you say- il try
just asking is this a standard factory BM stereo as its fitted really well!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its really secure - i remember way back a 'radio' had a threaded bolt on the back to secure- am i right? what if its got a nut on

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
If its a factory fit sony it could well have a nut on the back. Is the radio in the compact or saloon? If it in the saloon you can take the glovebox out completly and you can just about sqeeze your hand between the air vent to get to the back of the stereo, it is tight mind you. :crowded
They can be a bugger to get out. Let me know if you cant get it out tomorrow coz ive got a sony in my toolbox and ill post a couple of pics to make life a bit easier. Pm me to remind me if you cant and ill add them to the thread ASAP. :thumbsup

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in the saloon, i shall have another go tomoz n let you know-cheers:thumbsup

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done it! :lol
removing the glovebox was easy following Boostist link- cheers
but it didnt help me remove stereo as there was no room at all to get behind dash and see if there was a securing nut.

in the end i had to remove fascia by removing 5 screws so that i could pry the securing stereo cage tabs back so that the whole thing would slide out- (stereo n cage) its all a bit bent n twisted but it will straighten out.

when it was out i could see that the 'locking tabs' are on the TOP (middle pic)- not at the sides where i thought they were. thats why i was nearly pulling my dash out as the removal keys had locked onto the cage.

if you look at pic 3 you will see the left tab is in the corner, but the right tab is set inwards about 15mm.
you will have to put any slim flat item in between stereo and cage (towards centre slightly) and then slide left/right over the tabs pushing them down. then just pul! its easy really-when you know how!

a BIG thanks to steviec (for taking the time to reply)
steve23002 (technical help)
and boostist (technical info in another thread which helped)

Reactions: steve23002
1 - 9 of 9 Posts