BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, recently purchased a 1998 e36 vert and was told when buying it that it has remote central locking but they lost the key and only now have a basic key with no buttons. So I’ve pulled the glovebox out to have a look and have found the alarm module.

According to this guide https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f74/e36-alarm-identification-guide-3t-2t-3g-ews-t39173/#/topics/39173
I think I have either 3g mk2 or “national” alarm system?? Picture attached. It’s got the coding switch. Ive also bought a new 3 button key off eBay (also pic attached) and have tried everything I can find to sync it to it.

Key to pos 1, then off and out and hold unlock and press lock 3 times. And release.

Key to pos 2 x5 then off and out and hold unlock and press lock 3 times. And release.

Switch box to coding mode and press lock then switch back.

Pulled the box on top (which locked the car and armed the alarm(led started flashing)) then put it back and switched coding on press led button and switched back. (To disarm I had the remove and replace the box a few times)

Now, do I either have completely the wrong fob or am I doing something wrong? I also noticed this was retrofitted as it doesn’t show up on a vin check.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
all e36 BMW alarms were retro fitted by dealers. that alarm requires an alarm fob. there is an article posted on the forum, all will be explained on it. hit the search button

1 - 2 of 2 Posts