BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I was just checking the fluids as normal the other day and noticed that there was this thick brown gunk up the inside of my coolant reservoir, I'm not sure if it was there before or not, so I took some pictures of it so get your opinions.

The first is of the oil filler cap, the second is the coolant reservoir cap, the third i used a balsa wood stick to dip the coolant and it is the normal green colour, then the forth is the gunk scraped off the inside of the tank with the stick.

The coolant system was flushed and replaced around 5k miles ago.

Regards,

Ben

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
As long as the coolant oin the bottle itself is green/blue, then thats ok, the gunk on the oil filler cap is usually from condensation from cold nights/mornings. The gunk on the bottle cap may be from a previous bloown gasket and they didn't clean it off. Give it a wipe down and check in a few days, see if it returns, but if the water is green, then it should be ok.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Charley! an attractive girl who knows about cars..perfect! :p I found a length of tubing, and sucked some up into that and took a photo, I added it to the original post. I wouldn't recommend this method of checking the coolant as I sucked too hard and got a mouthful. Surprisingly sweet at first, followed by the worst after-taste ever. nasty.

·
Registered
701 Posts
check your oil filler cap underside as that would show you head gasket failure.
dip your finger in the water and if its oily then its worth getting it checked out mate. other than that as said above it could be a old problem that was fixed clean it and check it again in a week.

keep a close eye on your temp gague and if she shoots up stop the car and turn it off imidiatly.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers! coolant, oil and oil filler cap all look normal, so I'm hoping its just an old problem. When I did change the coolant it did have some gunky lumps in that were creamy in texture so I flushed it 3 times, so that could have been from an old problem, Plus I believe it was stood around for a while before I bought it, don't know if that made a difference. But I took a sample of coolant earlier (see first post for pic) and it still looks new and green after 5k miles. I did nearly have a heart attack when I first saw that gunk though! esp. after reading about how much of an ass pain head gaskets are to change!

·
Registered
354 Posts
As long as the coolant oin the bottle itself is green/blue, then thats ok, the gunk on the oil filler cap is usually from condensation from cold nights/mornings. The gunk on the bottle cap may be from a previous bloown gasket and they didn't clean it off. Give it a wipe down and check in a few days, see if it returns, but if the water is green, then it should be ok.
thought that was just a random chich pic, wow my dream girl knows about them and has a bmw fantastic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

and OP dont worry many people assume its headgasket when this happens mine is the same but i dont have that in the coolant tank though but as mentioned probably condensation.

·
Registered
701 Posts
yeah headgasket failure normaly shows gunk on the oil cap not water. on the water side of things you get oil in it which makes it erm oily lol. just having a think and is the radator in good nick it may of had some form of radiator fix gear in it once over rad stop i think it cauled never used it but im assuming its think so might explain the lumps and then somes condensed to produce a paste

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"thought that was just a random chich pic, wow my dream girl knows about them and has a bmw fantastic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx."

> well, I don't know for sure that it isn't a random pic. I hope not, that would ruin my illusion!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Check hg for a leak and then as precaution if thats ok replace rad and flush cooling system out...Brown sludge in cooling system normally an indication that someone in the pass used tap water :eek......refill with the right mix of coolant and distilled water....

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Benjamin says his water's green, the coolant that is!!! lol. Just give both your caps a good clean off, and check them again in a few days. This cold weather may bring it back a bit, but if so, don't worry about it, it's perfectly normal condensation stuff. Just don't try taste it!!

''Surprisingly sweet at first, followed by the worst after-taste ever. nasty.'' From Benjamin

Your not the first, and probably not the last erson to say that either!!! haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts