BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery on my 325 coupe has gone flat so i have no central locking and my key does not unlock the boot (is this normal?) so I cant get to my battery to charge it other than folding down the seats and climbing in which i would rather not do. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Pop the bonnet and connect jump leads to the posts in the engine bay :thumbsup

And your key should unlock the boot, does it work in the glove compartment?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Ronnie. I ended up just folding down the rear seat, the tray covering the battery was already off so it was quite easy to connect the charger. I tried the key in the glovebox, it goes in and turns but does not actually lock. In the boot it goes in but does not turn.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sounds a little like mine. I have 2 keys, 1 to unlock the drivers door and 1 for the ignition.

Neither key works in the Glovebox, Passenger Door, Boot lock, so I'm thinking that the previous owner relied on the central locking working! Which is a PITA!!!

A new lock set is needed, at least I'll have a spare key too then.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If you are using the Valet key it won't open the glovebox or boot(depending on years,which I'm not sure of).

BMW's from new usually came with 2 "master keys", a "valet key" and a plastic "wallet" key.

The Master keys open and lock everything.
The Valet key opens and starts the car but won't work in the boot or glovebox.
The wallet key opens everything but won't last long if used continuously, it's just a emergency key.

:cool

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are using the Valet key it won't open the glovebox or boot(depending on years,which I'm not sure of).

BMW's from new usually came with 2 "master keys", a "valet key" and a plastic "wallet" key.

The Master keys open and lock everything.
The Valet key opens and starts the car but won't work in the boot or glovebox.
The wallet key opens everything but won't last long if used continuously, it's just a emergency key.
That sounds very familiar Ron :hihi....:rofl
All those keys only come with the E46 :thumbsup...not sure about E36.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts