BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a 93 325i, when i accelerate hard in first gear the left rear vibrates/shudders and knocks when i reach around 4000 rpm. I thought it might be down to the rear trailing arm bush but i lowered the arm and the bush is still in good condition. It also seems worse when accelerating up hill. Once im in 2nd gear the car is fine and hits maxium revs with no vibration. Has anybody had a similar problem or any ideas what it might be?? Any suggestions would be great cheers!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Ideally you need to get the rear of the car up onto axle stands and check the rear wheels for play, wobble them top and bottom and side to side while a friend checks the suspension joints and wheel bearings out.

Also pay attention to the rear subframe mounts and the floor around it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply bud, I had the car up on the ramp at work today and put a lever bar to every joint i could see but couldn't find any excessive play in any joint or bush. I did notice the inner edge of the tyre was wearing alot more than the outer, does that point to anything do you think?

Cheers, Phill.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Thanks for the reply bud, I had the car up on the ramp at work today and put a lever bar to every joint i could see but couldn't find any excessive play in any joint or bush. I did notice the inner edge of the tyre was wearing alot more than the outer, does that point to anything do you think?

Cheers, Phill.
Does the rear of the car sit low? broken rear spring will cause that or lowered springs will, otherwise you should get a 4 wheel alignment to sort that out

·
Registered
52 Posts
i though my RTA bushes were in good condition and had my e36 in the pit jacked up putting bars on the wheels/suspension trying to find out where the knocking noise was coming from but everything looked tight, then when i took it to my mate for an mot i was moaning about the knocking noise and told him to try and find it, he went through the same routine as we did and said everything looked tight, then when it was jacked up he punched/hit (from the outside) the rear wheel while it was still jacked up and it made the thud sound, then while he was doing it we could see the play in the RTA bushes, give it a try. It was only that one action that would make the bushes go clunck nothing else worked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.