BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the plan was to put new discs and pads on.

Failed that one, as the bolts that hold the caliper bracket on wouldnt budge-I got the caliper off and the pads out, but does anyone have any tips for the caliper bracket bolts?

However, I DID remove the bumper, take off the rusty offside wing and put the new one on, and replaced the bumper. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Now that may not sound amazing, but for someone who finds that filling up with petrol a DIY challenge, it is truly a result :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Today the plan was to put new discs and pads on.

Failed that one, as the bolts that hold the caliper bracket on wouldnt budge-I got the caliper off and the pads out, but does anyone have any tips for the caliper bracket bolts?
Use a breaker bar over your socket wrench....you will get the extra leverage. Spray some WD40 over the bolt first and leave it for a few minutes to soak.

·
Registered
701 Posts
i have done my discs and pads today, the front 16mm bolts were tight, use a ring spanner, and just hit it with the hammer, dont use the head, hit it on the shaft near the head. then they come off easy.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Have it jacked up with the wheel on a full lock, take the key out so the steering lock engages. You should have enough room to get a breaker bar onto the bolts. Im lazy though, i undo them with a windy. Always torque them back up though, never do them back up with the windy :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
i used a long tube to go over the socket bar and put steering on full lock to get tube away from wing arch.i had a 12" g-clamp and held the socket on the caliper bolt head to stop it slipping.it worked on all 4 caliper brkt bolts,they were on f--kin tight.:D

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Mmmm, nice torque wrench. :D
Ive got a set of Norbar ones, get a new set every year coz my bosses brother in law works for them. Believe it or not its cheaper to replace them than get them calibrated :eek

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Mmmm, nice torque wrench. :D
Ive got a set of Norbar ones, get a new set every year coz my bosses brother in law works for them. Believe it or not its cheaper to replace them than get them calibrated :eek
Nice :thumbsup

I wish mine was cheaper to buy a new one rather than calibrate :hihi

I christened it on a Rover V6 headgasket job, took about 2 minutes max to do the headbolts.

25nm, then 90 degrees. then another 90 degrees.

Yep, it measures angle :hihi it's a great bit of kit :thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Nice :thumbsup

I wish mine was cheaper to buy a new one rather than calibrate :hihi

I christened it on a Rover V6 headgasket job, took about 2 minutes max to do the headbolts.

25nm, then 90 degrees. then another 90 degrees.

Yep, it measures angle :hihi it's a great bit of kit :thumbsup
I like the sound of that, makes life a lot easier :D
Rover V6, lovely cambelt jobs :silly

·
Registered
20,393 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE

Was in the garage at 7.30 and thanks to tyour suggestions, I now have drilled and grovved discs with DS2500 pads on :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Been and bedded them in, and all is good.

Cant thank you guys enough.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
UPDATE

Was in the garage at 7.30 and thanks to tyour suggestions, I now have drilled and grovved discs with DS2500 pads on :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Been and bedded them in, and all is good.

Cant thank you guys enough.
The early bird! :eek

I never realised there was such a time on a Sunday :hihi

I've heard nothing but good things about DS2500 pads :cool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.