BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been in the garage for a few days, and the temp has stayed bang in the middle. He said he cannot find any external leaks, but that the system was getting "a bit pressurised", but not too bad. He also said there was no air blocks etc.

Any ideas?

(The symptoms were: Went to 3/4 on the gague until I revved it and then went back down, and blew cold air, but again, when revved it was fine and hot air was blown????)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Im not sure either now. You will always get a bit of pressure, but the hoses shouldnt be rock hard to the touch.
Also, i know it may sound silly but the radiator caps used to cause problems on these. I have a recall notice in some of my paperwork for my car. It is also quite common to screw the caps on pissed. I know coz ive done it myself :embarrassed

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not sure either now. You will always get a bit of pressure, but the hoses shouldnt be rock hard to the touch.
Also, i know it may sound silly but the radiator caps used to cause problems on these. I have a recall notice in some of my paperwork for my car. It is also quite common to screw the caps on pissed. I know coz ive done it myself :embarrassed
I just called him about the rad cap, he knew about that problem so its not that.

The hoses are not rock hard, but a "bit hard" lol. He suggests just using it and see how we go on, but there MUST be a reason somewhere.

Still, I am away till Friday now so he has a few days to keep on at it.

Thanks for your replies.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I would prob get the head gasket done if it were mine. Prob cost the same sort of labour. I would get a sniff test done first to double check if the headgasket has gone. Ill search for a post about a sniff test kit. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The garage called me today-full 3 day investigation, they have used it to collect parts etc (to test usual temps and use) but its not used any water or overheated!

So I have no idea now-i dont know if I should get a test kit or not.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would also ensure the cooling system is bled correctly, not trying to take the pee but I've met experienced mechanics who can't bleed cooling systems.

How to bleed the cooling system.
1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the rad and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, when good then install bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full to the brim, replace the cap and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists.
6.If good then check the water level again in the morning when cool.

Otherwise a sniff test/block test is a good idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.