BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

1. I have had a knocking noise for a few months now, its been coming from the rear and I always thought it was some kind of trim knocking, always happens when turning left and going over bumps. I found today that when I push down on the o/s/r/, it knocks, all the other corners are ok, but this corner knocks. Any ideas what this could be?
  2. Also, my car overheats when in slow traffic after about 25 mins(it goes from its normal half way stage needle to almost touching the red area). I have checked the fluids and they are ok. I have noticed that that heater takes a while until the main centre vents blow hot air, the side window vents however blow hot away as soon as the engine is warm. Any ideas on this?

Thank you for any help.

Simon

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
first thing to do is bleed the cooling system

1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the rad and IF you have one the bleed screw from the thermostat housing,
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, when good then install bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists.
6.If good then check the water level again in the morning when cool.

The knocking could be a rear shock top bush, rear shock absorber or rear trailing arm bush, jack the vehicle up on to stands and start checking

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi - Do I need to remove part numbers- 7, 8 and 9 on the rad when bleeding air from this?

Thanks

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG12&mospid=47451&btnr=17_0089&hg=17&fg=05

I'v just test run again to find the symptoms.

When temp needle is half way up-

Car stationary = cold air from vents and windscreen vent
Car moving = cold air from vent - hot air from windscreen vent

Do I still need to bleed or could this be something else?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts