BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so I've been looking into e36's for a long time now, and maybe, just maybe will be able to cop one in the near future (with plans to do a light track oriented build), but am unsure which options to look at (engine wise), and which ignore completely. I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but here in Eastern Europe in my budget range (~1.5k euro), it's pretty much 60% 316's, 20% 318's and the rest 6cyl's or 318ti's. Afaiu 316's and 318's fall straight out of the picture leaving, 318ti(is)'s and 6cyl's.

The goal of the car would be something you can daily in pinch, have fun driving around curvy roads, but also be able to go an autocross event or track day.

In a perfect universe I'd grab a 2.5 coupe, however the chances of one like that popping up in my budget are slim to none basically. The chances that are higher though are compacts with decent-ish motors (323 125kw, 325 141kw). A very likely option is a 318ti compact/sedan as they do pop up quite often in comparison. The question that arises here though, is it even worth building a budget track based car out of a 318ti, or is a 6cyl chassis a no brainer?

Afaik, 4cyil's have inferior brakes and drivetrain, compared to let's say a 323, so are there any worthy brake/drivetrain mods for them?

The mod's I'd most likely go for regardless of engine or chassis are coilovers, better pads/dics - whatever's needed to stop properly and grippier tires of course, also probably minimally strip the interior cause racecar haha. I haven't forgotten safety equipment like seats, harness bar, and possibly a half cage, but all those things would come in the future if need be. From what I've researched, this should yield quite a fun car, however I would like some opinions of people who have more knowledge/tried something like this.

TL;DR: is it worth buidling a 318ti or is a 323(or better) the only way to go and what mods are necessary for a fun car?

Much thanks!

·
Vendor
4,609 Posts
A 328i will be much better as it will have a lot more torque and with a m50 manifold mod and remap will produce 235bhp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 2 of 2 Posts