BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry if this thread isn't named correctly - my justification for putting it in this forum is that it often comes up in other threads about people looking to buy an 8 and I thought it may come in handy as a sticky)

Anyway, like I say, the question of insurance often comes up so I thought it may be worth starting a thread to compare prices with a view to hopefully saving a bit of money come renewal time!

I'll kick off:

Car: 1995, 840 (4.0), kept overnight in unsecured off street car park.
Driver: 27, Male, Structural Engineer, 8 years NCB, 3 points (SP30), 1 fault claim (£1500, no personal injury)
Policy: £250 (iirc) excees, unlimited mileage, includes windcreen cover and driving other vehicles.
Price: £605

*awaits depressingly low premiums posted up by the old fellas* :hihi

Steve

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ok, from this 'old fella' :hihi

1995 840 CI Auto - 4.0
50 yr old General Manager - Ambulance Service
+5 yrs NCB, no points,
£500 excess, limited to 4,000 miles, and they check :shifty:
Sureterm Direct - £312 - fully comp

They'll do for now. Never had a limited mileage insurance before, won't bother next time as it's too 'limiting'. Bloody rip off anyway :sarcastic

I'll always expect to pay around £300 ish, have had really silly quotes also, into the £900's so shopping around a must...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
a 40 something.

1997 840 ci sport 4.4 individual
46 yr old digger driver.
no NCB, no points
£250 excess, limited to 3000 miles
breakdown & window cover (essential)
heritage classic insurance - £227 fully comp.

the milage seems a bit low but i didn't go over last year. i don't use it as much as i should. my daily driver is a motorbike. ( triumph sprint st 1050 )

·
Registered
57 Posts
Slightly smug Mechanical Engineer, 50 last year, no points.
98 840ci.
£360 for a multi vehicle classic policy, unlimited mileage which also covers a Rover P5B coupe and an E32 7 series with a £250 excess, but also includes breakdown insurance home and abroad.
No NCB accrues on this type of policy but I have about 30 years NCB on a new MX-5!

The only quote I bothered to get for the E31 on its own was approx £600 from Admiral...

·
Registered
252 Posts
1992 850i
39 yr old Graphic designer.
no NCB, no points
parked on drive
£100 excess, limited to 3000 miles
legal & window cover
Adrian Flux classic insurance - £370.

How many miles do you do a year Steve?
Might be worth a limited mileage policy to get the price down.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles do you do a year Steve?
Might be worth a limited mileage policy to get the price down.
When seeking quotes I was stating about 3k per year. It just so happened that my best quote was for an 'unrestricted policy'. It is still noted that my annual mileage is expected to be around 3k though.

Steve :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
i got a quote from flux last week for a J reg 850i with 19's on an a ss exhaust, 5000 miles limited came in at £252, but for a p reg 840i sport completely standard came in at £420.

im 34 full ncb, but i didnt need to use any NCB as it was on a classic car policy!

give them a call

·
Registered
252 Posts
When seeking quotes I was stating about 3k per year. It just so happened that my best quote was for an 'unrestricted policy'. It is still noted that my annual mileage is expected to be around 3k though.

Steve :)
I'd go for a classic/cherished policy Steve.
You won't need your NCB though so make sure they will keep it on file ready to use on a 'normal' policy in the future. (unlike my last company! :mad)
If you don't use it for 2 years it expires and you have to start from scratch. Ask me how I know!
Adrian Flux will provide this service as I'm sure do a few others.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Slightly smug Mechanical Engineer, 50 last year, no points.
98 840ci.
£360 for a multi vehicle classic policy, unlimited mileage which also covers a Rover P5B coupe and an E32 7 series with a £250 excess, but also includes breakdown insurance home and abroad.
No NCB accrues on this type of policy but I have about 30 years NCB on a new MX-5!

The only quote I bothered to get for the E31 on its own was approx £600 from Admiral...
my next door neighbour has a blue P5B almacg, lovely car.

·
Super Platinum BFuk Member
940 Posts
Age 54
Classic car policy
3k pr yr
No no claims needed
£140 FC + £30 for the Alpina rims

:D

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Age 54
Classic car policy
3k pr yr
No no claims needed
£140 FC + £30 for the Alpina rims

:D
when they asked.."where is the car kept overnight" did you reply honstly that your car is stored inside a glass cabinet hanging 4feet up on your garage wall and that it only get taken out to be cleaned...is that how you got such a good deal?

:rofl:rofl:rofl:lol
:shifty:

·
940 Posts
when they asked.."where is the car kept overnight" did you reply honstly that your car is stored inside a glass cabinet hanging 4feet up on your garage wall and that it only get taken out to be cleaned...is that how you got such a good deal?

:rofl:rofl:rofl:lol
:shifty:
Your Soooo right of course:hihi, but I got fed up of all the insesant cleaning & sold it:eek

Ended up paying 5 times as much for the AMG:frown

·
940 Posts
1995 bmw 840, individual daytona purple
age - 25
insurance - £1800
clean license and no claims made.

:lol Not Funny at all:jaw-dropping:eek F*c*in hell!!

Can Any one beat that I wonder

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think anyone can beat me :jaw-dropping

I think the age is the key factor that is making it so ££££.

I just see it as i'm paying to drive a classic sports coupe. I've never met anyone my age driving one.

I'll try post some pictures soon.

I have 20 inch alloys, magnaflow quad exhaust system and upgraded the front bumper to CSI.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was 25 when I got mine and was paying nowhere near that! Ouch!

(and I had 3 points and a fault claim against me)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my 1999 840ci last year when I was 22yr old and insurance was £2300!!

This years renewal was £1700 which is a bit easier to cope with, although I don't mind as it is a high performance and uber cool classic

1 - 20 of 35 Posts