BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, If you have read my other threads you will see i have investigated a few bmw performance projects of late, m54 turbo etc, but to no avail, i've found the cost prohibitive generally. but once again i have found inspiration (from the link to forum.bmw5.co.uk) in the form of a hollowed out e36 with a rover v8 combo! It just so happens that i built an sd1/edelbrock/mallory powered hi-lux (see pic :) ) about eight years ago so am fairly familiar with rover v8's. An rv8 3.5/3.9 is 20kg lighter than a bmw m50 and about the same power wise, but very cheap and easy to get 250bhpish, and plenty more if you have time and cash, also sound beautiful ( i love the sound of my m50 2.5 mind! ). Down side being that my hi-lux was lucky to on occasion return double figure mileage! I am justifying this to myself by blaming the huge weight from ridiculous wheels, lift kit etc.

Anyway the crux of my thread is this; the bmw i use for this is going to be either e30 or e36 (coupe), as lightened up as is road legal, coilovers, brake kit and rv8 transplant ( not sure about tranny, i'll chat to millner conversions to see if a bell housing is available if not rover tranny too! with this in mind can anyone give me any advise on which of the two models handles better? i have done a bit of research and the e30 is a bit lighter, but my current e36 325 (saloon) handles great in my opinion.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would have thought if you're sticking an rv8 under the bonnet of a car that came with a 2.0 6cyl, then it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever which handled better in stock form.

I'd almost be tempted to say use the e36 becasue the heavier chassis will balance the weight out better. Pure speculation, of course, but it's rooted in sense!

·
Registered
13 Posts
as far as I have read the E36's engine bay is narrower than the E30's. Best to have a quick check with the tape measure.
if you go E30 the problem will be to find a nice rust free shell. Rover V8 has already been fitted to a E30 M3 and worked quite well.
If you strip the car anyway I would go for an E30. Will be much lighter and handles better IMHO than the E36. But I am a little biased...

·
BFuk Moderator
244 Posts
I have E30 325i race car, and modified E36 M3 that I am current national hillclimb champ in. given your choices, the E30 will be lighter and faster, it will also stop and turn quicker due to less weight, it is really a no brainer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.