BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
i recently abandoned my plan of a m60 340i due to falling in love with the 540i 6 speed i got as a donor and the amount of work involved with the swap. and i am now thinking along the lines of a nice revvey 4 pot like the e36 318is engine, is it a straight swap? has anyone done this swap before and what parts will i need.
Thanks Jon

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I'm almost sure that it will be almost identical to an E36 conversion.

Have you given consideration to a 6 cylinder conversion?

The 318is engine on both the E30 and E36 are supposed to be very reliable, poky engines. My car started life as a 318is and I loved it:thumbsup

Personally though if I was to do this conversion I would be looking to exchange the old engine for the maximum power available. If you opt for the 4 cylinder then I'm sure at a later date you'll crave a 6 cylinder which would mean starting again.

Please keep us posted:thumbsup

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply i have thought about a 6 but i quit like the way the 4 pot drives -gutless but willing, i am not after big bhp in the e30 it just could do with a bit more go and as the e36 m42 seem like a easy swap and a good increase for the time and cash it would take to fit. does the e36 m42 engine fit the e30 316i box or will i need the e36 box aswell?
jon

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
thanks for the reply i have thought about a 6 but i quit like the way the 4 pot drives -gutless but willing, i am not after big bhp in the e30 it just could do with a bit more go and as the e36 m42 seem like a easy swap and a good increase for the time and cash it would take to fit. does the e36 m42 engine fit the e30 316i box or will i need the e36 box aswell?
jon
I'm afraid my knowledge does not stretch to E30's so I wouldn't know about the E36 engine to E30 gearbox issue:frown

There is an article though in the latest Performance BMW Magazine (May issue 2009 - top of page86) explaining how 168BHP has been achieved from the E30 318is engine by way of remap/chip combined with an ITG air filter:thumbsup

·
Registered
16 Posts
the m42 will definitely drop straight in. does anyone know how you get the m44 engine in? the sump doesn't fit in with the subframe and steering rack! does anyone know if you can get the m44 in or do you have to put the m42 in? any help here would be appreciated!
thanks darren

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
There is an article though in the latest Performance BMW Magazine (May issue 2009 - top of page86) explaining how 168BHP has been achieved from the E30 318is engine by way of remap/chip combined with an ITG air filter:thumbsup
Sorry mate but I have to call shenanigans on that article.

30bhp from an already highly tuned engine with nothing but a filter and a chip. That would put it at over 93.3 bhp per litre!

170bhp can be done but not like that.

Ian

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I personally would search for the E30 318is engine, box and loom. No problems with fitting, correct mounts, prop and gearbox.
They are not much more down on power than the E36 318is..;)
The less hassle the better IMO :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
the m42 will definitely drop straight in. does anyone know how you get the m44 engine in? the sump doesn't fit in with the subframe and steering rack! does anyone know if you can get the m44 in or do you have to put the m42 in? any help here would be appreciated!
thanks darren
Hi mate they do fit in sump has to be turned round the other way and you have to fit all the air intake off of the m42. we have done this conversion our selves:

Reactions: RYM
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.