BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the roof lining material / fabric is directly stuck on to the roof, or is there something between the fabric and the roof, on to which the material is glued. Additionally can anyone recommend a professional who can replace the roof lining. Preferably within a 50 mile radius of Chester, but nationally considered if need be. My roof lining is dropping, not surprised after 27 years. As this must be a common problem with these older cars I’m sure someone must have dealt with this in the past, hopefully. Many thanks.

·
3,245 Posts
Orange Stuff - BMW are famous for it. There is a layer of orange foam between the headliner and the fabric and that is what slowly decomposes and then lets go of the fabric. Shogun has a write-up somewhere on his site that goes through how the foam is removed from the headliner - it's not pretty and involves a lot of elbow-grease and an industrial vacuum cleaner.

·
3,245 Posts
Orange Stuff - BMW are famous for it. There is a layer of orange foam between the headliner and the fabric and that is what slowly decomposes and then lets go of the fabric. Shogun has a write-up somewhere on his site that goes through how the foam is removed from the headliner - it's not pretty and involves a lot of elbow-grease and an industrial vacuum cleaner.
This link shows a BMW headliner - and blithely says 'remove the old material' - easier said than done!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’ve done mine twice - being a complete novice I didn’t use the correct glue, or enough of it, the first time. But I after the second attempt, 2 years on and it’s still holding up perfectly.

Once you’ve pulled off the old fabric, to get all the old glue and orange stuff off, I found acetone was very good at shifting it. You’ll need a couple of litres of it, and obviously it needs to be handled and used with care. Daub it on with an old paint brush, work it in and then just scrape it off. Takes a while but it’s doable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts