BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys and girls,

I've a 2016 330 auto which I've had for a few months and just looked at DTUK CRD3 + tri channel tuning box.

Anyone had one of these and if so how good or bad are they?

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tuning boxes plugged a gap early on in the whole diesel revolution, before the remapping revolution they allowed considerable extra horses to be squeezed from ECU controlled diesel engines by essentially skewing the injector timings. This yeilds power, but it's a bit of a broad brush to do something rather intricate. There's no mystery in crude diesel tuning, with a diesel engine more-fuel-more-power-more-better at the expense of smoke, this was all well and good for your old Peugeot 306 HDi where smoke equalled poke, but in these more finessed times with DPFs, complex turbo chargers, ever tightening mandated emissions standards, this is no longer in any way a viable method of tuning diesel engines.

Ultimately, to get the best from any engine, a bespoke (and I mean that in the lightest way possible) map is going to give you not only more power, but in the skilled hands of somebody who knows what they are doing, considerably better safety margin regarding engine components.

If these boxes were £50 (like some of the early ones were) then I'd say just go for it, however, they're not, these are not coming in at a higher price than a decent remapping session, excluding the 'plug and play' convience these offer no other benefit.

These are a sledge-hammer, yeah they work, but there's little finesse in them.

I'd take the money and find a reputable tuner (you'll get plenty of suggestions on here) who can take your vehicle and actually demonstrate what they have done and talk you through the process, not a kid who's bought some wonky Polish maps from eBay and is uploading them to cars (with no intellectual property rights to do so) and extoring large sums.

If you could have a tailored suit for the same price as an off-the-peg one, which would you pick?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Many thanks for such a detailed answer......makes a lot of sense.
Didn't really want to have the map on the car when servicing comes around.

I'll take a look at a remap as don't want to mess it up.

Thanks

·
5,888 Posts
As said,tuning boxes alter the timing,but with modern engines there is so much more going on to risk fitting a generic box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a Racechip tuning box fitted to my 325d. Its was good, gave a good shove when you put your foot down and gave an engine warranty too. However the smoke issue always bugged me so I went with a Bluefin remap.

The car drives sooooo much better, much stronger power and torque and smoother power delivery. Like driving a different car.

The other good thing is that with the Bluefin, the map is put on by you using a small handheld device plugged into the ODB11 port.

Very easy to do, jut follow the onscreen prompts on the handheld unit. You can swap between standard map and new map whenever you like, for example before you get the car serviced. To do so you just plug in the unit and it will ask if you want to put the standard map back on or the bluefin map on if you have already put the standard map back on.

So easy even my wife could do it ha ha.

The maps are done by Superchips which do have a good reputation, and have good customer service should you need it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi thanks for your reply..... unfortunately bluefin don't do a map on a hand held device only a map they install ��

·
Registered
269 Posts
Again with the Bluefin type kit, it's still generic remapping, there are benefits and constraints but you're still 'blind' as to what has been done to your specific car.

With regards to hiding for servicing etc, remapping is the risk you take, you're demanding more of the engine than BMW's specifications and you're accelerating wear no matter how you carve it up.

Waiting until you're out of warranty is the logical step if you're concerned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts